Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 71 CB 350 that I tweaked a bit and got it started and running (idling) but any touch of the throttle and it dies.

I set the valves and timing, and I tweaked the carbs and it will fire up immediately with one kick or the slightest touch of the starter button, but it won't throttle up. I can maybe milk it to about 3K rpm but then it dies (but will fire right back up and idle with one kick).

I've been poking around and found that the kid who owned it previously added Dyna coils, but I'm looking at it and there are no condensers. I know that bad condensers can create a situation exactly like what I am seeing (abiity to idle but will cut out at higher RPMs and I am seeing almost constant arcing at the points).

I'm not familiar with Dyna coils, do they have some kind of built-in condensers? Or did the PO just 'forget' that condensers are needed when running points?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Are you running with points or electronic ignition? Like Lefty said, condensers are not needed for e-ignition.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

The bike still has points, so yes, looks like condensers are needed. I just wasn't familiar with Dyna Coils, and thought maybe they had some kind of "integrated condenser" or something (I couldn't quite get my head around why the PO would have gone through the expense of putting in these nice Dyna coils but not wiring in any condensers???)

I have ordered an ignition rebuild kit from Common Motor Collective with new points, condensers, allen kit, etc

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts