Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I spent a lot of time searching for a set of Dunlop K81s for my CB200.
The current size tires (off-brand) on her are Front: 2.75/18 (90/90/18)
Rear: 3.00/18 (100/80/18)
I would really like to run these tires but have had ZERO luck finding the sizes.
Should I forget these tires and go with something else?
Avon's RoadRiders are offered in the 90/90/18 size but according to their website the narrowest rim
recommended is 1.85. My CB front rim is 1.40.
I appreciate everyones' thoughts and suggestions.
Jim

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Jim, Something is amiss with that info... The STOCK, CB 350 carried a 3.00 tire on a WM-1 (1.60) rim (front) and a 3.50 on the same 1.60 (I believe, although it could be a 1.85) rim in the back...( I don't have that rim here)
On my 90 I have a 2.75 tire mounted on a WM-0 rim (1.40) rear, and a 2.50 tire on the WM-1 (1.60) front STOCK CB 350 rim......
Since the tires are mounted, I measured flat to flat between the spokes with a vernier across the rim at the widest point for reference.... I get 2.039" on the WM-0, and 2.386 for the WM-1 (1.60 internal)....
Even with the "wider" 1.60 rim, the 2.50 rubber measures 2.486 across the shoulder of the treads curve (widest point).... Close enough for me....
The 2.75 tire (rubber) measures 2.787 on the "correct" (narrower) WM-0 rim... Again, close enough for me.... The bike corners and handles well with this set-up, but is lighter/lower than your 200......
However, My tires are Bias....The Low-profile aspect of the modern radial tires (presumably the Avons are radial-ply) might be a factor in the recommended rim width.

:? Steve

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Another question.... 90mm is ~3.50".... 100mm is actually 3.944" (a 4.00 tire)....(Perhaps that's why the 1.85 minimum recommendation)
Are your existing tires actually 2.75 and 3.00 or are they the metric sizes you stated?
2.75" is roughly 70mm......Hard if not impossible to find in a metric radial...Even an 80/80 is closer to a 3.25" tire than to a 3.00".....

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
FWIW, my '74 CB200 has "Duro" tires from the Dennis Kirk catalog. Front is a 3.00H18 and the rear is a 3.50S18. Both of my rims are stamped "160A18W" right near the valve stem.

The front is a "hi-speed" rib tread. My 200 wouldn't approach 'hi speed' unless you threw it out of an airplane. :lol: But it was the only resonably-priced tire they had in stock in that size.

Kirk

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Thanks Kirk.... I thought the stock 200 rims would be 1.60's, and you've verified it....
I would think a 3.00 or 3.25 tire would be the optimum sizing, although possibly even a 3.50 would work (it does on yours...)... So we're looking for 80/'s or 90/'s in a metric tire....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a direct question to Moderator Steve:

Can I just simply do away with this thread altogether? I don't know what the heck I was thinking
when I expressed concern about a 1.40 rim. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I have NO IDEA what was on my mind!!!!!!!!!!

May I be excused now? :lol: :lol:
I need to go to my corner and not come out for a week; at least not post for a week!!!

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
You CAN go to the corner, but only if you'll wear the "dunce" cap.... I have one I've managed to avoid wearing myself for a few days, so I'll lend it to ya, but I'll need it back very soon.....LMAO! ... (We all have those days occaisionally)..... :D ...You will have to deal with Bill about the possible impending Homer......(Should you decide to "cop" to a momentary lapse of judgement).....

I'm leaving the posts as a reminder to the newer members to Question everything, and do your homework.... If you are unsure about any part, application, whatever, Please ask....We ALL will try to sort out the correct answers.... As a combined group, our knowledge and experiences cover CENTURYS of working on these bikes..... NO question is stupid EXCEPT the unasked ones......

As an individual, I appreciate EVERY members suggestions and they tend to cause me to fully consider ALL the aspects of my modifications and often those reconsiderations improve my end results..... I learn from this group every day.... Steve

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Just call me "scarecrow".... Lol.... I have MULTIPLE "Homers"..... :lol: Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was just going thru the threads and saw this one, I don't know if you've gotten tires yet. One can mount a 100 and even a 4.1 on the 200 but unless your very light and or drive on a very smoth surface you will get some rubbing on the tire by way of the tail light mounting nuts. The bike will handle just fine with a 2.75 and 4.1 combo but the newer the rear tire the more often the rub. I use to be on a very small budget and the 4.1 came with the bike. I would use it when I needed a rear tire but had to wait to get a proper one. I still have that tire to this day and last used it 2 months ago waiting on Dennis Kirk. I recomend nothing bigger than 90 or 3.75.

P.S. I just checked and have run 2.5 and 2.75 front with all combos from 3.00 to 4.1 rear, all were okay to handle but the rear clearence gets marginal after 3.75.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts