Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tires for my 73 cl 350 k5... Stock tire sizes are 3.00 - 19 Front and 3.50 - 18 Rear... Not the easiest to come by in a tire that suits the bike...

I'm looking at getting a set of Dunlop K70's, the front will be a 3.25 - 19 and the rear would be a 4.0 - 18... I've been told the front should fit, but just want to confirm the rear 4.0 will fit before placing an order...

Thanks...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know the rim size of the 350, but I can tell you that my CB500/4 has a 3.50-18 listed as the stock size, and I put a 4.00-18 K70 tire on it. It fits the rim fine, just a little fatter. I also don't know if you'll have any clearance issues on your bike, but I'm guessing probably not, as mine has plenty of wiggle room there.
Also, I have found the K70 to be a good tire for these old bikes. They handle nicely, are great on dirt roads, and seem to last pretty well. I went 5,000 miles 2-up with a touring load on that 4.00-18.
Good luck on your search and nice bike !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks for the info :) It looks like there should be room, but I wanted to make sure.

I've got the motor in and a bunch more stuff put on... Ready for the carbs then to try and make it run. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
old thread i know, but i'm looking at the same combo. did it fit, ride, and look ok?

·
Registered
19 Posts
just thought i would follow up for those people using the search. the k71 19 by 3.25 fit my 72 cl350 k4 front wheel and fit under the stock fender, with nearly zero room to spare (the little stringy bits of rubber rub).

i can only compare the handling to the super bald and dry rotted tire i had before (way better now), but it looks good. looks way bigger, about the same size as the rear stock tire in appearence, kinda scared to put the oversized tire on the back, incase it bottoms out on a pothole, we'll see when the old one needs replacing, thinking of going cafe racer with this bike so it might not be an issue if i ditch the rear fender at some point, but for now its gotta be my runner while the other bike is the project.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, a 3.25 barely fits on the front? I thought for sure a 3.50 would make it.

When I measure the clearance on the sides of my 3.00 original front tires there seems to be at least a 1/2" on each side. That tells me with a 3.50 tire I'd still have a 1/4" clearance on the sides.

Can you provide a pic of your tire and the clearance it has. This is great info because I am looking to get the largest tires I can on my '72 CL350. I planned on 3.50's in the front and 4.00's in the back.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The tire doesn't get too near the forks just the indents in the sides of the stock fender where it goes between the forks, some carefull grinder work and you could make a bigger tire work... but that fender is also the closest thing you've got to a fork brace... and the k71 looks great :cool: too bad I broke a spoke trying to get the bump/wobbles out of my wheel so I'm going to have to take the tire back off again now.

Another thought is that the more you mess with tire size the more it can effect handling, also effect weather you lose traction in front or back first... or so I'm told I'm no expert.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
For those of you who want "the widest tires you can fit", ALLOW me to remind you that the tire width is a function of rim width...... Wider tires REQUIRE wider rims so their mounted shape is correct..... You CAN mount a wide tire on a skinny rim, but this changes the curvature (and road contact patch) of the mounted tire..... You can actually have LESS traction with a larger (improperly sized for the rim) tire.......IF you MUST go wide, relace the wheels with a wider rim suitable for the planned tire size ...(Most manufacturers have a "recommended rim width" chart available online.....)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I appreciate the whole rim/tire size consideration. I'm a drag racer and very familiar with what a mismatch can do for traction/handling. I'm just an old guy who will be putting to the mailbox, running to the pond, etc. No poor weather driving or hard core maneuvering here!

I definately do not want to grind anything on this bike. Good to know the 3.25 looks great and you are happy with it. Sorry about the wheel :(

Thank you both for your reply's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
well.. I have a CB350 that I want to stretch and hard tail.. although I just got a 550 for free that I might do it to instead..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts