Honda Twins banner

Ducati 450 single.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  -alan- 
#1 · (Edited)
The work has stopped on the ca 160 build do to lack of funds from the owner. Its ok since I knew it was coming and we have plenty of time.

Since I have some time on my hands my parts yard buddy dropped of a 1973-1976 Ducati 450 MK111 and asked if I thought I good repair the motor. Ive never seen one much less worked on one. Looking at the FSM everything has to be shimmed and the crank is set with a dial indicator. It has a shaft driven cam that runs up the side of the motor and some odd looking valve springs.

So far Ive found the stator is shorted out, one key on the crank shaft is sheared off with part of the key still in the key way and what looks like a lot of missing parts.
The sleeve in the cylinder is bad and it will need a new sleeve or a larger piston and bored.out. I tried to talk him out of rebuilding it but he said he didnt care what it cost or how long it took he wants me to try to repair it as no one else would even look at it. I can see why and Im not sure Im good enough.

Anyway Satin hates a coward so Im going to give it a shot. Any Ducati folks out there let me know Im going to need a lot of help.

Sorry about the chapperal photos I dont know what happened to the ducati?????
Will try to post a few photos. Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part Vehicle
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part Vehicle
Vehicle

Bill

I have now idea how to post a photo they may come thru or not I cant tell.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got a friends 2001 600 Monster in my garage right now trying my patience. He had someone "rebuild" the carbs and they are totally jacked up so I have been properly rebuilding them and trying to put them back correctly.
I found a ducati forum for information on it.

Good luck.

#3 · (Edited)
Can't offer much that's useful Bill, other than to pass on a comment from a mechanic who worked on older Dukes and Guzzis. His view was that anybody could work on a Guzzi as they were simple engines, designed to be assembled by common or garden factory workers - but that Ducatis were complex beasts requiring lots of careful adjustments of clearances and shimming to get the required tolerances, which needed the services of a well trained fitter, otherwise they'd end up sounding like a bag of spanners, and run terribly. That's why I've always steered clear of trying to rebuild, or indeed buying a rebuilt one :)

Best of luck with the project though - looks like it deserves to be put back together.

#4 · (Edited)
The FSM states to keep all shims in place when tearing the motor down. This one came in a box,2 three gal buckets,two cans and a plastic bag. I tried to talk him into selling it for parts but he wants to try to rebuild it. He doesnt want to ship it out and pay shipping fees and high hourly rates. I guess if I cant do it he can still sell it for parts.

Tried to send photos again but no go. What I know about computers you could put in a thimble and still have room for a box car.

I thought of starting a build thread but cant send pictures so the heck with it. Will let you know if I have any luck with it.

Bill

I have never failed I just tried a lot of thing that didnt work... Edison

I guess 2 came thru I dont know why the rest didnt??

Attachments

#5 ·
Desmo engine with mechanical valve opening AND closing. I can understand why he wants to restore it - they are fairly rare and worth a few thousand running, even when not all original and the looks are just so-so.

#6 ·
He called me and said he found some more parts. We are going to sit down and try to find what we have and dont have. Doc has about 70 complete bikes of all makes and buildings full of parts that are not kept together so finding any thing is hit and miss. After he leaves I will sit down and make a list of what he doesnt have and he can go look again. Docs a good guy and when I work with him I just sit back and take my time. I have built or worked on 6 bikes for him to a certain point then he says he will finish them but they are sitting in a shed and I havent seen any of them run after they leave here. But this is just a hobby for me so it keeps my hands busy.

Bill

#8 ·
Syd's Cycle in St. Petersburg FL has lots of parts and expertise. I know a couple of very experienced Ducati builders that could do the job if you decide to bail on the project. One in NY and the other in Mass. They both have worked on my 160 Monza Jr. I have another buddy building a 250 who may be able to help you as well.

Have fun!

#9 ·
Hey thanks fellows its great to know help is out there.. Doc stopped by yesterday and I found out its not a 450mk111 its a 1970 450 scrambler.He had given me the wrong manual. We decided to try to build the lower end first because thats what we have the most parts for. If that works out then we will look at funding the rest of it. The motor parts ,what we have , have been sitting in a bucket for 25 + years and I have a lot of cleaning to do. Then the fun will begin.

Thanks again

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.