Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My forks look like they can accomodate 2 disc brakes. MY question is what other years calipers will fit it? or am I wrong in thinking that i can accomodate this task

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still looking for a little help on this one. Anyone? Anyone?

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
You will need: another caliper and arm set-up with hose that is identical to the one you now have (assembled as a mirror image).... A longer banjo bolt that will accomodate two banjos (stacked with a seal washer between)....~8 to 10mm Longer rotor through bolts (to hold other rotor)....
Modified speedo drive plate (can be made from existing).... Bolt it up/on....
You can phone for details...540-427-4256 about 9PM eastern daylight time....Machine will answer, start talking at beep...(I screen calls)...Steve

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure it was possible. I couldn't see any reason why it would but thought I would ask just as most peoplle on this sight know more than I do about these bikes. I have an arm and rotor already ordered. I already have a double banjo from and old project. I am looking for another caliper on ebay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Any chance that we could get a write-up on this procedure? Maybe with some pics included?

I have a CB500T that would be a prime candidate for this procedure, especially considering that I already have two discs and two calipers.

Any more info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry been lagging on this. I told steve I would do it, I am just a slacker.

Here goes, I am 98% completed but I need to doa run around the block to maker sure all thigns work, but am waiting for a Caliper seal to put my brakes back together, but I expect everything to work fine

Thanks to steve (sixty six sprint) for his patience and time I would of never figured this out

First take your front wheel off. Remove unit that speedo cable attaches to. Put to the side. Remove rotors and the silver ring and the aluminum center piece.

Next trim the aluminum piece until it will fit inside rotor. Your will need to make some notches that will fit into the hub. you should see a ring on the hub that has 2 notches. The aluminum piece should rest in that ring.

Make sure that the aluminum piece doesnt spin when you rest it on the hub. Those notches you cut in need to catch on the ring.

Once you have all that done. Reassemble with the silver ring. I cleaned all my moving parts as i didnt want any metal shavings or dirt in there. Re grease all moving parts as well. If you have gotten your extended bolts all should bolt up together. I needed to trim my bolts down as the speedo unit needs to be able to be stationary while the wheel spins and mine kept hitting the bolts. I used loctite on all my bolts as well. I will more than likely safety wire them as well.

By the time you have gotten to this part you are where I am. put your tire back on and see how it works

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops missed a few typos. One very important one. Do not reinstall silver ring

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Some clarifications:
The part that is being modified (#9 below) is getting "new" tabs that go TOWARDS the hub and engage the "flats" the blue strap points to in Jimmy's pic.....
The excess "cup" part is ground away to clear the rotor......
The axle in Jimmy's picture is in backwards... It must insert from the right side as in the drawing below....
IF you also insert the rotor through bolts from the right side, clearance issues with the speedo-drive itself are minimised......
Parts #1 and # 21 are discarded, and a bit of clean grease will seal the bearings from road debris, (and is easily cleaned/exchanged as needed)..... Only use a little.... If it gets on the rotor having an extra brake is a moot point.....
Simply mount the right side caliper and carry arm as a mirror image of the left side...., You MAY need to rebend/modify the fender mount on the right side......
Obviously, you have to do the "plumbing", and a larger volume master cylinder is recommended....

This mod adds appreciable weight to the front end, so I recommend facing and drilling the rotors to reduce the unsprung weight.......Alloy rims help as well......

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
such a simple thing of putting the bolts through the other direction never even crossed my mind. Duh

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
;)... That's why I get the really BIG bucks!.....LOL... :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cant seem to get the brakes bled. I replaced the seal on the old caliper, now I am wondering if I need to replace piston. I think its a 36mm outside Diameter. is that correct?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
received my new piston today, and got the liens bled, but not that well. I swear me and brake lines dont go well together at all.

Heres my question now.

I have a 2 line Banjo bolt coming from Master cyl, and each line running to one caliper. One line one caliper. My question is, is that too much line for teh master cylinder? would i be better off running one line from Master cylinder to a split and then a line to each caliper. My Old Ducati used to run them this way. Unfortunately my old ducati line wont fit or I would of used that.

Do I need a bigger bore of a brake line to support this new 2 caliper front end?

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
The lines shouldn't matter as they "stay" full of fluid...However, a "thinner' internal diameter line that doesn't expand much is better (read braided stainless is preferable to rubber lines) ..You DO need a master that pushes enough VOLUME to displace both pistons though.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK Update
Brakes installed and bled (Speed Bleeders are the coolest) The single master cylinder that i am using is working oK. I ordered a master that can do 2 caliper and it should be here Wednesday.

Scenario - Why is the new installed caliper smoking? I have pulled it apart and double checked but it still smokes. Is this just a break in period?

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Could be that there is a small air bubble in there, could be the smaller master is not allowing fast or complete enough withdrawl of fluids and it's slightly pressed against the rotor....Could be the adjustment screws are holding one caliper too "snug"..... It should NOT "smoke'......
Another thought is the pads/pucks are worn at the "opposite" angle and need to "seat-in" correctly......So for awhile, they are going to "slightly" touch...... I've only done this using all new pads, so I wouldn't have noticed this problem before.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will wait and install new Master, and see what happens. Thanks

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Interesting topic. Any updates?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, forgot I hadn't updated this post. Well I got it all working and its great. Much better than before. A couple of problems were mainly alignment. Forks, calipers, etc. I had my mechanic fix it,and he got it working right. He also re bled the system again. he has one of those fancy vacuum bleeders.
All good though. so much better than single caliper.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts