Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some guys on here have done it and I'll bet there's a thread on it some where but I haven't been able to find it.
So, I'm not convinced I want to do a dual disc set up on the 450 but I also don't have all the information to make an intelligent decision.
What, if anything, has to be changed? Are there any spacers or any fab work that has to be done or is it basically just putting a rotor and caliper on the other side?
If this ends up being the way I'm going to go then I'll be looking for spare parts if anyone wants to make a couple bucks for their project...
Any advice is welcome and if you have a set up like this PLEASE post up some pics and if possible some close up pics. Thanks
-Nathan

almost forgot, I have a '70 k3. I know the caliper was a little different for the '72 and up models.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nathan

Can't help with the set up specifics, but if you don't mind an unsolicited interjection . . .

. . . a dual disc will add some very considerable weight to the front end, especially if you're going to use original brake discs, callipers and fixings. I've been buying up enough bits to do the twin front set up on my CB750, and I was just at the point where I needed to start following the instructions others who've been there before when I read a comment from Hondaman (SOHC forum guru) with his thoughts on the subject. Can't remember whether it was a forum post or from a page in his book, but he said that having worked on 750's for 30 years, he's come to the conclusion the extra weight outweighs (literally) the performance gains - the 750 is heavy enough as it is, and the extra weight on the front end just isn't worth the effort.

Having read that, I went into the garage and put together the extra bits I'd bought and he's right . . . combined they weigh a very considerable amount. So much so that I've decided not to go that way with the 750. Instead I'm probably going to get my disc drilled and just use better pads. Don't even want to think how the same amount of extra weight would affect the 450 . . .

Dunno if that helps any.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts