Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe this California living has made me soft, but I cant pull off the springs from the brake shoes. I looked in the HCSM I found on line from the mid '80s and it says pull apart the shoes with your hands and lift them out. Well those shoes were not riding on pivot pins. Clymer says "remove the springs also" I think I have bent one of the hooks by prying.

I know this is simple and basic, but it is ruining my evening. Do I need a special tool or stronger hands?

Any advice and/or derision is welcome,

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Colmar538 said:
So maybe this California living has made me soft, but I cant pull off the springs from the brake shoes. I looked in the HCSM I found on line from the mid '80s and it says pull apart the shoes with your hands and lift them out. Well those shoes were not riding on pivot pins. Clymer says "remove the springs also" I think I have bent one of the hooks by prying.

I know this is simple and basic, but it is ruining my evening. Do I need a special tool or stronger hands?

Any advice and/or derision is welcome,

Thanks,

Steve
It's simple and basic but I've had to pull them off a couple of different hubs lately and I couldn't do it either. The technique I used was to pull the cam pin out at the same time you are pulling the brake shoes off the tip pin(s). I found it all had to be done at the same time and I used a screw driver to pry the shoes off the pins. Use a nylon or rubber mallet to whack the cam pin since you don't want to damage the end. Again, they all have to come off together. The chances are that you'll get one side or the other cocked in on the way out and you'll have to knock them back in and start over.

Be patient and they'll come off in a few minutes.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Pull one shoe until you can free one end...then the other end of the same shoe...Turn vertical and spring pressure will reduce enough to lift the shoes off the plate...........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
Pounding out the cam while I slid the shoes of the pivots worked great. I had to soak the cam in lube for a while to get it to move. It was basically rusted in place. That would explain why the rear brake was so vague.

When I reassemble should I use any lube on the brake parts? I think I should lube the cam but I imagine that the pivots stay dry?

The advise is appreciated,

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Colmar538 said:
Thanks,
Pounding out the cam while I slid the shoes of the pivots worked great. I had to soak the cam in lube for a while to get it to move. It was basically rusted in place. That would explain why the rear brake was so vague.

When I reassemble should I use any lube on the brake parts? I think I should lube the cam but I imagine that the pivots stay dry?

The advise is appreciated,

Steve
I coated the cam pin with a light coat of brake grease and I think you could leave the top pins dry but I used another very light coat of brake grease on those pins as well. Some will argue that no grease should be used inside the drum area but I'm not concerned about using it in that location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts