Honda Twins banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Well of course many old Villiers engines had plain bearings but I think they were bronze so I expect they coped better with thin oil ?
but didn't the old Amals just leak all over outside the engine? or did they weep into the intake port like the old 450 carbs are famous for when the petcock is left on?

·
Registered
214 Posts
but didn't the old Amals just leak all over outside the engine? or did they weep into the intake port like the old 450 carbs are famous for when the petcock is left on?
Surely Villiers made their own carbs. Very fine ones too, of bronze or brass. Also concentric before Amal thought of the idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dont Worry!

That's right. Took her out for a spin yesterday, 2-3 miles all under 25mph. By the end she was riding rough, like hard vibrations. Furthermore as I was nearing home, I began experiencing hanging revs where I would let off throttle and the revs would slowly fall after a moment of staying.

Checked my oil which smelled faintly of gasoline. Damn.

Obv protocol will be to properly flush the crankcase cold kicking with bike off, drain, and put new oil, but I'm fearful I have caused serious damage after some reading. Something about bearing surfaces.

Still haven't adjusted cam/valve/timing so this could be why it was hanging and riding rough but it wasn't doing that before.

What do you think? Any insight would be much appreciated while I'm further reading up on this topic in the meantime.
Hi, I would initially have the same flash of fear about damage but they are almost always false. These engines are designed so well that even when people try to hurt them they can't. Google about the Harley guys who kept a Honda outside a bar just to burn and blow tires. After weeks of brutality it ran like a clock and they gave up. A few miles with some thinner than usual oil... nothing!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts