Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right. Took her out for a spin yesterday, 2-3 miles all under 25mph. By the end she was riding rough, like hard vibrations. Furthermore as I was nearing home, I began experiencing hanging revs where I would let off throttle and the revs would slowly fall after a moment of staying.

Checked my oil which smelled faintly of gasoline. Damn.

Obv protocol will be to properly flush the crankcase cold kicking with bike off, drain, and put new oil, but I'm fearful I have caused serious damage after some reading. Something about bearing surfaces.

Still haven't adjusted cam/valve/timing so this could be why it was hanging and riding rough but it wasn't doing that before.

What do you think? Any insight would be much appreciated while I'm further reading up on this topic in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Sounds like carb problems such as improper float adjustment to let fuel leak into crankcase, air leak around the carbs causing the hung revs.
I suggest a full carb cleaning, inspection and proper adjustment along with posting the year, make and model of your bike along with any changes from factory like pods, aftermarket exhaust etc.

Forums are like computers, the better info you put in, the better results you get out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yeah I had a bad float with a pinhole that I tacked shut with solder after draining. I agree carb overhaul is necessary, and in the cards.

Alright. All stock CB350 K3, 1971 although that information can be found with a quick glance at my introduction.

I'll flush the oil and see if gas is still getting in there.

Interesting analogy. Likewise, you need a good software to read the information you plug in.

The nature of this post isn't troubleshooting. I asked if damage likely occurred based on the information I did plug in to the forum computer machine.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Adding a bike to your signature would eliminate others from having to research your information to help you.
Without any obvious symptoms, the only way to see if any damage occurred would be to open it up. We have no way of knowing what concentration of fuel was in the oil, if the oil was thin enough then as you have read there could be damage.
For me, fix the carbs, change the oil, clean the filter, watch for the engine making metal at oil changes and ride it.

You do turn the petcock off when parked correct?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Since it's a 350 and not the SOHC 400 series with plain bearings, you're probably okay... the most likely quick wear area on the 350 would be the cam bearing caps and rockers with thinned oil... so, ride on :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok thank you for the help ancient dad that is the solid info I was hoping to hear although I'll still proceed with caution.

And yes I do apologize,that was just my "cager" history haunting me.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
And yes I do apologize,that was just my "cager" history haunting me.
no need to apologize - if all of us corrected every single misspell or improper terminology use by any of us here, we'd never get anything else done as we all do it from time to time... but riding - that's the motivating force behind what makes us different than drivers!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
ancientdad, you Drive this forum! Lol

·
Registered
249 Posts
This may be a daft question, if so please put me right.
Why is some petrol in the oil such bad news when my two-strokes are happy with very petroly oil all the time?

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Plain bearings vs roller bearings.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
2 stroke is another animal all to itself..
Gas alone-4 stroke good - 2 stroke bad
Gas and oil 4 stroke bad - 2 stroke good...
Run ur 2 stroke on gas alone... you will have a similar result with 4 stroke with gas in the oil...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Actually, burning oil in the gas in a 4 stroke is no big deal, just unnecessary smoke. However, as Richard referenced above, plain bearing crankshaft engines suffer (as well as those with bushing-style cam bearings, like the 175s, 350s, 360s and 450s) from gas in the oil due to the diluted lubrication

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well of course many old Villiers engines had plain bearings but I think they were bronze so I expect they coped better with thin oil ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts