Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming down the hill the other day and I kinda fell off the bike and tipped it on the right side after hitting a bad bump, since then I've had a rough time starting it and it idles rough, and sounds like its misfiring it, Dies if left in 1st. The temp did drop into the 70's lately so not sure if that changes anything. What do I look for here?

Video for sound

·
Registered
328 Posts
First:
Determine which side is skipping.

20$ laser thermometer... run bike. Check both outlets at the exhause manifold and both exhaust tips.

If they are 10 degrees off eachother, its bot a carb issue.
If they are 100 degrees off eachother... definitely fuel supply problem.

Assuming they are uneven...
Take both carbs off. Stary with the GOODA ONE. Rock it back abd forth abd listen to the bowl sliding.

Take the bad one... rock it back and forth and listen for it to give... itll sound like the good one when it gives ... if it doesn't give take the bowl basin off and check the float height.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
These carbs don't come off one at a time. In fact, the best fixes are those that don't involve them coming off at all!

Connect a length of clear fuel line to each float bowl drain and hold the other end of each above the carbs. Open the bowl drain screws. The fuel level in the bowls will be the same as the fuel level in the lines.

Alternatively, since you dropped it on the right side, you might check the right spark plug for cracked porcelain. Bad connection in the plug wire cap is another possibility.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the fuel line, will do. My spark plug wire for the right side is held together with some electrical tape so I think that's a good start, but it stalling makes me think its a tuning problem, or I just don't know proper startup procedure. Does shake so that also makes me think its a misfire, I haver alot of inspecting to do

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Replace the plug end caps, held together with electrical tape means they're leaking voltage to ground. NGK XD05F is the part number you want. Trim @1/4" off each plug wire and screw the new ones in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coming from cars this seems like a new concept to me? Don't we have to replace the whole wire?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Plug wires are integral to the coil, can't be replaced, and are made of SS wire. Coil will die before a plug wire in most cases. Be sure to use NGK plugs or second choice would be ND (Nippon Denso).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the tape off and it looks like it was just there to make sure they didnt separate? Now the bike refuses to idle unless im giving it gas and dies when out in gear

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Dropping the bike could have dislodged sediment in the float bowls and that was sucked into the jets. Try flushing the float bowls by draining them, closing the screw and turning the petcock on. Repeat several times.
When you replace the plug ends replace the plugs with new NGK plugs.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would guess the electrical tape was someone's attempt to replace the rubber seal that comes with the caps.

Also if it'll run on choke that's a good hint that the above is the problem

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If i drain into a glass jar will i be able to see anything? This is in the service manual right?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It's possible you'll see something, depends on how big it is. No, this stuff isn't in the FSM just knowledge obtained over the years. Simpler than pulling and cleaning the carbs if it works.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ill get to it once it cools off a little. The passenger side one looks like itll be a pain

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Theyre tough and im worried about stripping them. Got the drivers side but would PB blaster work to help with the passenger?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts