Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger pegs on my CL175 won't stay upright when stowed. They droop outward about 45*.

When they're deployed, The droop down 30*.

The transition between up and down is firm. They aren't installed upside down.

I haven't taken them apart yet to see just how they work, but I figured this might be a common problem that people have fixed before? I tried searching but "droopy pegs" wasn't yielding many results.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not installed upside down, but are they installed on the correct side? Grasping at straws here.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Old rubber. The pressure from the rubber footpegs causes the pegs to stop in the folded up or horizontal position, kind of like a spring. As the rubber ages it becomes less flexible so it doesn't expand to hold the pegs in place. Replacing the rubber part is likely your best bet and an alternative part is available:

Honda part # 0506 628 3305

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So when you fold up or down the rubber is briefly compressed? And that's what makes it hard to transition? Interesting.

Looks like this is the part number for my bike: 50731024000

$4 each at david's and cmsnl but both have high shipping rates. I'll try moisturizing mine and see if that helps! Thanks for the info. Not sure if I would have figured that one out.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The angle of droop will be determined by the stop at the lower side of the peg. Notice that it's tapered? The long section actually contacts the mounting bracket

·
Registered
842 Posts
Usually as they are cheap and nasty, the pins wear and elongate the holes, and , the "stop" faces on the square tube peg wears.

Reform the holes is easy, either weld and re drill to oe diameter, or go up a size with a thread free bolt shank and lock nut, or drill and split pin hole etc in a longer shanked bolt, what ever is your fancy. The peg "stop" faces will need welding build up and filing etc., to oe for correct foot rest and stowage positions.

Yes, the rubber acts as a spring.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the rubber rejuvenation doesn't work, I was thinking about using a long bolt and lock nut and just tightening until there is enough friction to hold the peg upright.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
Why not just take them off ?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's partly due to the mounts being bent. The previous owner obviously had it down pretty hard at one point. Both brackets are twisted as if the pegs got pushed down very hard. I have new brackets in the mail. Hoping that with the new brackets they will be parallel to the ground when deployed.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I fixed the "looseness" of mine when folded up by putting a thick o-ring between the washer and the footpeg rubber. Yes, the rubber covers provide the tension that holds the pegs in an upright position, but they shrink and become less springy with age. The o-ring just acts as a spacer to take up the slack.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you mean a rubber o-ring, stretched around the peg, and then the square washer goes over that? That sounds like a good idea!

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
A lot of people snap an O-ring around there to help the worn out rubber act as a detent spring. That works fairly well. They were cheap and rather junky when new, and only get worse with age. They will still angle down in use and tell your passenger not to stand up while you are flying down the road. They may not be up to the task. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts