Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I did post once or twice on a couple of other forums (MSN and 450dohc) about my rebuild of a K4, so hello again.

My question is, can anyone tell me the correct drive chain required for the '71 CB450 (K4)? I'm sure it's a 530 chain but I really need to know the number of links required.

Thanks Guys.

Motley

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Motley said:
Thank you Bill.

BTW, is that a JRT (your avatar)?
Incidentally, DO NOT get an o-ring chain.....

Yeah, that's a Jack - here's a shot of my lil' skunk - you can see by the smile on his face he just made trouble, looking for more to get into........if there's any trouble within 10 square miles, you can bet he's in the middle of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, thanks again Bill. I turned down an "O" ring chain this afternoon, I'll stick with the plain type. This bike really needs the 520 (525 at most).

Ya gotta love that breed. Here's a link Mrs. Motley's site http://www.reynard.ca/

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Actually, 530 H chain is specified ...(A bit "heavier duty" chain than 530)....

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Not on a high compression engine (180 to 200+ PSI and 9/1 ratio) with 43 HP.....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The tensile strength of todays modern 530 chains far exceed what was spec'd back then. With some research of the different manufacturers you can find a very strong non o-ring 530 chain. You get what you pay for when chain shopping...

I prefer RK gold chains myself..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Motley said:
Ya gotta love that breed. Here's a link Mrs. Motley's site http://www.reynard.ca/
Wow, nice Jacks, dude.

I'm afraid mine (Pete) is not one of the long-legged rough coat super models like yours - he's one of the short legged smooth coat types, built like a tank. Pick him up and it feels like a big ol' chunk of steel.
I'll bet he can cause just as much trouble as yours though !!

And your wife is right, they're hunting dogs, plain and simple - this one is a stone cold killer.
And if you don't keep him busy, he'll find some way to amuse himself, usually at the expense of something you own........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks guys, I'll shop for a quality chain this week. I kinda like the gold chains myself, I have one on my Triumph Thruxton and another on a Yamaha trail bike.

I'm glad you liked our dogs Bill, Mrs Motley is rightfully proud of 'em. I showed your photo of Pete to her and she did admire the little guy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
tbpmusic said:
......Incidentally, DO NOT get an o-ring chain.....
Curious...why not an 'O'-ring chain ???

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
RicH2 said:
Curious...why not an 'O'-ring chain ???
Their extra width causes them to grind away stuff under the counter sprocket cover - particularly the clutch lifter apparatus, which is No Longer Available (gulp).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts