Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
O-ring chains are not advised on most of these old twins - even some of the SOHC Fours.
There are clearance problems under the counter sprocket cover, and can even grind away the clutch lifter mechanism in there.......

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danfr said:
it seems all the ebay chains are o-rings.

where does everyone get their chains from?
Any of the on-line places have chains.
Not sure what size 350 is - somebody else here will know....I think it's regular ol' 520 chain.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
count the pins and include two for the master-link....

·
Registered
255 Posts
66 Sprint,
Just to clarify - you are not adding any links just counting ALL of the pins and matching that # up.

Hope this makes sense.

Larry

·
Registered
265 Posts
Same as my 360. I bought a 100 link right from my local Honda dealer and split it down. No perceptible clearance issues yet, but not ridden yet, either.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
total noob question here:

short of it flying off your bike, whats a clear sign a bikes chain needs replacing?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sticking links is a big one. But the best way to check it is to pull the chain off and hold it out horizontally (pins pointing up) and see if there is a lot of sag in it. That'll show you whether or not the links have a lot of slop in them from the pins wearing down. If you keep a chain clean and lubed it'll last a long time.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
interesting. so would three inches of sag be TOO much for an entire chain held out straight (if thats even possible to do)?

and as far as a chain being tighter in some areas, when correctly installed on a bike, and loose in others is that common? never going outside of the 450's 3/4" rule of course. is this more of a result of the sprockets maybe being worn?

lastly, if i'm hearing a definite "minimal" click-clack as i roll my bike down the street coming from the chain what sign might that be? it's possible i might have tightened the chain a tad to much. and while it's not bone dry, it's not completely lubed up just yet.

many thanks in advance as usual...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
interesting. so would three inches of sag be TOO much for an entire chain held out straight (if thats even possible to do)?

and as far as a chain being tighter in some areas, when correctly installed on a bike, and loose in others is that common? never going outside of the 450's 3/4" rule of course. is this more of a result of the sprockets maybe being worn?

lastly, if i'm hearing a definite "minimal" click-clack as i roll my bike down the street coming from the chain what sign might that be? it's possible i might have tightened the chain a tad to much. and while it's not bone dry, it's not completely lubed up just yet.

many thanks in advance as usual...
The sideways sag is a good test - 3" sag at the end of the chain would be good for a new chain, sort of makes me suspicious.

I don't know what the "3/4" rule" might be, so....
Properly installed chain/sprockets shouldn't have any tight or loose spots as it turns, there should not be an undue amount of noise, or any sort of "periodic" noises.

Also make sure that the rear wheel is actually centered - do not trust the axle adjuster marks.

Other than that, just get a new chain, man - they're not expensive, just a regular ol' 530 chain.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
yeah bill thats what i'm thinking. i thought i read somewhere 3/4 of an inch of up and down play on a 450 chain is tolerable. thats what i meant- is it a 1/2 inch? or am i just making this all up?

http://www.procycledepot.com/content/p/ ... em=1674320

so... 520H, 100 link will do the job for a 450? or did you mean to type 530H? +/-$25 sounds good to me and this place looks as good as any other to order from.

-seth

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
yeah bill thats what i'm thinking. i thought i read somewhere 3/4 of an inch of up and down play on a 450 chain is tolerable. thats what i meant- is it a 1/2 inch? or am i just making this all up?

http://www.procycledepot.com/content/p/ ... em=1674320

so... 520H, 100 link will do the job for a 450? or did you mean to type 530H? +/-$25 sounds good to me and this place looks as good as any other to order from.

-seth
Yeah, 530 - thanks....

Length depends on what sprockets you have - I always buy 104 link or so, cut off to fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts