Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola,

Thanks all for the help on the wheel bearings. Finally got them out and waiting for replacements.

Removed the drive chain for cleaning. Lots of rust on the links, so much so that some of the links are frozen. Hard to imagine how it was able to rotate.

Soaked it in kerosene which helped somewhat but a couple links are still stuck.

Any Ideas?

Thank

Reed

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: Driive Chain Maintenance

Replace the chain... Kinked ones damage the gears as well.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

66Sprint said:

Rats,

I was afraid that would be the answer. This is getting expensive. I was hoping for a cheap solution.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts

I agree with replacing the chain. You really dont want it to damage the sprockets if it hasnt already. The one thing you can do is when you drain your oil put the chain in the old oil for a few days. Nothing to loose and worth trying. I freed one up like that once just to try it and have it around as a spare.
Don

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

dlslick said:
I agree with replacing the chain. You really dont want it to damage the sprockets if it hasnt already. The one thing you can do is when you drain your oil put the chain in the old oil for a few days. Nothing to loose and worth trying. I freed one up like that once just to try it and have it around as a spare.
Don

I've got it soaking in kerosene. Got it bit looser after a day. Was thinking about using one of those rust removal products, eg. Evapo-Rust, to see if that would loosen it up. If I get good results I might try it on my tank.

·
Registered
109 Posts

RNaka said:
66Sprint said:

Rats,

I was afraid that would be the answer. This is getting expensive. I was hoping for a cheap solution.
Considering that it is possible for a broken chain to lock up the rear wheel, which can get you killed. I would be really careful with that chain.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Rampage1967 said:
RNaka said:
66Sprint said:

Rats,

Considering that it is possible for a broken chain to lock up the rear wheel, which can get you killed. I would be really careful with that chain.

Your absolutely right,

Just found one on E-bay for $30. Somehow I thought they were a lot more expensive than that. Non O-ring right?

Thanks again for the help!

Reed

·
Registered
363 Posts
non o- ring, thats about the going price, totaly not worth using a crap chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts