Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have some aluminum mx bars and I’m thinking about installing them on my CL450K5. They are Tusk T-10 Aluminum 7/8”.
Here’s a link:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/947/12330/Tusk-T-10-Aluminum-7-8"-Handlebar

I’m just worried that drilling them for routing wiring is going to compromise them to a point that they are not safe. I don’t get too wild on the bike and if the holes are minimal and clean would they be okay? Here’s a couple of pics.

·
Registered
633 Posts
They look as if there is about 1/8” wall thickness so my guess is you could go ahead carefully, I would drill a succession of small holes and then open them up with a dremel cutting disc finishing off by relieving the holes with a chamfer. Don’t forget the hole for the locating pin either. The bar ends shouldn’t be a problem nor the Centre hole where the wires exit because it will be supported by the bar clamps.
Good luck
Nigel

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Rounding off the sharp edges is important. A sharp edge creates what is known as a stress riser, which is where cracks can start. Burnishing the edges away helps reduce the chances it will crack.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Will you be able to fit the wiring into the ID of that tubing? There will be significantly less room with that wall thickness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts