Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always had a lot of fun ressurecting old Honda's mostly with the occasional Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawi, and I've build some strange hybrids for lack of parts in the past. I can't now afford it, but for a while I've been watching go cart builds on Youtube and thought it would be a lot of fun to build my own bike out of an old frame or something. Now on a lot of those they're using Honda predator engines, which is prolly pelnty of power (especially like an ungoverned 440), but if I was to build something, I'd want the ability to handle the highway. I guess it'd have to be a fairly large displacement, at least 250cc or bigger. I do have a Yamaha triple motor now, but I have no carbs for it, and I'm not so sure I'd want to go shaft drive, even though I do have a swingarm and wheel to do it with. Anyway it's not a project I can do anything serious on just yet, but I'm thinking about it. The biggest problem I run into is how to add a transmission to something like that? The other option obviously is a bike engine that has a tranny already.

With this I'm really looking at simplicity, would like to go with a thumper or twin, something as simple as possible. I've seen Chinese Lifan engines, which could be an option, but AFAIK, biggest I have seen is 250cc and 18 horses, which is a bit less than I'd like. I'd like to get somewhere between 30-50HP. Not looking to make a long distance cruiser, but soemthing that can run on a freeway if need be, and do so comfortably. Most likely I'd be looking at an old bike frame, but the idea of a backwards trike also has appeal Wouln't be interested in a normal trike, because of the inherent stability issues, but those backwards trikes with a single drive wheel seem to solve that issue. The other thing, I want suspension, not looking to make any kind of bobber or hard tail, tho raked forks have appeal.

Like I said all of this is kinda a far off dream at this pint, but I'd welcome any ideas folks have. ;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Dreaming about bike projects is free, finding inspiration to help you focus isn't always easy but it can happen. Depending on your skill set, available tools and workspace, and of course the depth of your pockets, your dreams may or may not be reachable. There are a large number of unfinished projects out there, its heartbreaking to think about.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have been a fan of Allen Millyard. He has build multiple cylinder bikes by splicing together small displacement Japanese bike. He has built Kawasaki V12 out of two inline 6 cylinders, used a Dodge Viper V10, a 5 Litre V Twin from two Pratt & Whitney Radial cylinders. I have always thought Honda missed by not coming out with a four cylinder version of the CB450 DOHC.

https://www.youtube.com/user/millyardviper/featured

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a set of carbs for the Yamaha triple, they are yours for the cost of shipping.
TOOLS
At this point I'm too broke for even that, but soon I will take you up on it if it's still available when I have the cash. And thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While your still in the thinking stage you might check with your title dept. and see what is required to title a home built bike. just saying.

Bill
Of course.

I think what would really be interesting is if I could find a way to link some kind of transmission to say a Honda Predator 440 with the governor removed, better cam and beefed up valve springs. If you could find something small enough to make it work could be cool as heck.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
My dreams of bike building are these, if you need some inspiration.

morgan-trikes-ace-cycle-car-three-wheeler-vintage-9.jpg

I have been slowly figuring out the in's and out's of what its going to take to make one from scratch, mainly learning CAD all over again so I can figure out materials. Won't get built with an S&S motor (too $$) and styling will be a bit different as I think I'm going to use a goldwing engine, but still fun to think about. LONG term project as I still have a CB550 to finish and get out of the garage.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
One other project I definitely intend to do someday, even if not a home made bike, is I wanna find a small probably Honda, like a CM200 or even a nighthawk 250 and see how much power I could build it for. Really take out all the stops, port the heads, upgrade anything ya can for maximum power. I've always loved tiny bikes that really gave you bang for the buck and I've always felt there were some Honda models that barely tap the potential. Not sure the Nighthawk is really one, but I bet someone could get a little more from an old CM200 or CB250.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually on further reading seems not much can be squeezed from those, still would be fun to try. Maybe a CB350 and building that as burly as possible is the way to go, IDK. Whatever it is, 350 would be the maximum size I'd want. Just looking to get something little with punch.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here's some inspiration....

Instead of a quad tranny any small Honda Twin or Thumper case with a hashed top end could work, especially for a two wheel bike project, you're not gonna need reverse.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wonder how long that China transmission will last if something of more horsepower is driving it... creative idea though
That's why I think an old dead Honda thumper or twin would make a better tranny. I'm not talking huge horsepower here, but a built up 440 predator engine with an old Japanese bike gearbox conversion like this. I really like the idea of a simple pushrod thumper and serate gearbox. I mean yeah it's a crazy frankenstein idea, but it sounds like a **** ton of fun if you could pull it all together. For that matter how cool would it be to make multiple builds, sell a few?

A guy can dream anyway.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That's why I think an old dead Honda thumper or twin would make a better tranny. I'm not talking huge horsepower here, but a built up 440 predator engine with an old Japanese bike gearbox conversion like this. I really like the idea of a simple pushrod thumper and serate gearbox. I mean yeah it's a crazy frankenstein idea, but it sounds like a **** ton of fun if you could pull it all together. For that matter how cool would it be to make multiple builds, sell a few?

A guy can dream anyway.
Hey, I don't disagree, and it would be fun to build. I don't know if you saw the pics or not, but in the early '70s my oldest friend's Dad built a mini dune buggy using conduit for a frame and a CB175 engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, I don't disagree, and it would be fun to build. I don't know if you saw the pics or not, but in the early '70s my oldest friend's Dad built a mini dune buggy using conduit for a frame and a CB175 engine.
That is really cool but I bet it's none too quick? Still if it does 40 that's fast enough.

I got thinking though about where I'd get a good tranny and seems like an old Honda CR might be my best bet. For a CR you have a light, heavy duty clutch and tranny that can take a beating, and you have the added convenience of it likely being easier to find an old seized or otherwise screwed dirt bike engine with a sound tranny and clutch. I'm gonna be on the lookout for that and old lawnmower motors. I don't know if I wanna by=uy anything new, but I could start with an old lawnmower motor (a rider) and see how it goes, break out the bucks to build something if that showed promise.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That is really cool but I bet it's none too quick? Still if it does 40 that's fast enough.

I got thinking though about where I'd get a good tranny and seems like an old Honda CR might be my best bet. For a CR you have a light, heavy duty clutch and tranny that can take a beating, and you have the added convenience of it likely being easier to find an old seized or otherwise screwed dirt bike engine with a sound tranny and clutch. I'm gonna be on the lookout for that and old lawnmower motors. I don't know if I wanna by=uy anything new, but I could start with an old lawnmower motor (a rider) and see how it goes, break out the bucks to build something if that showed promise.
I never rode in that buggy, we had stopped going camping together as families by then and I don't know whatever happened to it, sadly - it was a cool piece. Doubt it was very fast, would have been as heavy or more so than the bike the engine came from and smaller wheels too, though that would have given it a gearing advantage (depending on the ratio of the rear end assembly he used).

I think the CR bottom end is a good idea. being a 2 stroke motocross bike engine it would be small, durable as you said, and the unused crankcase area would be simpler too with no internal oil pump and small crankshaft area

·
Registered
73 Posts
Build an 80MPH Moped. I have a friend that does it, and it is so cool to see a bike that was only intended to go 35MPH more then double it's top speed. Try doubling the top speed of a GIXER.
TOOLS
There's Honda Hobbits and Expresses which are cheap to pick up, have a pretty decent aftermarket "performance" parts market, and tend to max out around 25 to 30 mph stock.

I have one in my garage. It's a fun little thing. But I live in a large urban area where most of the roads are 30 mph, and mopeds can be parked on the sidewalk for free.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Someday I'd like to build this
20160828_190910301_iOS.jpg
I'd mount a big pulley to the rear wheel and use a idler pulley as a hand clutch. That would be pretty fun I bet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts