Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 1981 Honda CM400E. I went to drain the oil today, but found a hitch. In my manual, it shows a bolt to be loosened for draining. But under mine, there is no bolt except for the one that attaches the oil filter cover to the engine. Instead, where the bolt is shown in my manual picture, there are two indentations, each with an odd thing inside that looks like an inverted slot screw head. I have attached some pictures (One from the manual and one from the bike). can anyone tell if these are the drain plugs and if so, how do I get them out. I don't want to just use pliers, as I am afraid of stripping it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
seanmalcolmson said:
I have just purchased a 1981 Honda CM400E. I went to drain the oil today, but found a hitch. In my manual, it shows a bolt to be loosened for draining. But under mine, there is no bolt except for the one that attaches the oil filter cover to the engine. Instead, where the bolt is shown in my manual picture, there are two indentations, each with an odd thing inside that looks like an inverted slot screw head. I have attached some pictures (One from the manual and one from the bike). can anyone tell if these are the drain plugs and if so, how do I get them out. I don't want to just use pliers, as I am afraid of stripping it. Any help would be appreciated.

No, you're looking at the wrong place.

Here's a screen shot of the Honda manual, maybe it will help.......

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I wondered if that might be it, but it seemed to be totally off from my manual.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clymer Honda 400-450 Twins 1978-1987. What manual does your page come from? It seems better.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Sean, That question was rhetorical as well as satirical.....The Clymer/Haynes manuals are purportedly notorious for errors/omissions...... that pic was probably from the Honda factory manuals........

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yeah, and on the few things they did get right, you don't mind cutting the pages out to scan them for posting...LMAO!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. In a way, I'm glad to here that the manuals have errors. At times i thought it was me. I'm completely new to fixing motorcycles. I bought mine for $300 and thought I would learn about bikes from the bottom up. So I am very attached to my manual. Is it still possible to by a Honda factory manual?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
seanmalcolmson said:
Thanks for the info. In a way, I'm glad to here that the manuals have errors. At times i thought it was me. I'm completely new to fixing motorcycles. I bought mine for $300 and thought I would learn about bikes from the bottom up. So I am very attached to my manual. Is it still possible to by a Honda factory manual?
You can probably find one at Helm, who is an authorized re-printer of Honda manuals.
Try this link - there are 41 pages, arranged by year......

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result....r=&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

1 - 10 of 10 Posts