Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I went to drain the oil from my bike and managed to make a hell of a mess. I won't go into details, except to say my garage floor looked like Alaska after the Exxon Valdez. After cleaning up, I realized I couldn't find the bolt to plug the drain hole. I searched everywhere. Its seems to have vanished.

I went to my local shop to get a replacement. The parts guy assured me its the right one, after two trips. I thread it in. It goes about two revolutions and then stops. I can't tighten it by hand any further. I am worried about using a wrench and forcing the thing. Now, i used a 17mm wrench to take it out, but the head of the new one is larger. The parts guy measured the bolt with his calipers to assure me, saying its 14mm and that's what it should be.

What is the proper bolt size for a Honda 1981 CM400T? Is is normal for the bolt not to go in most of the way by hand?

Any info would be appreciated.

And if you find my original bolt, let me know. It seems to have gone to the same place as socks in a dryer.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Yep it's a 14mm standard pitch drain plug. My hunch would be it is either a little debris in the drain hole or he gave you the wrong pitch drain plug, though that seems very unlikely as this plug is common to at least 265 bikes. Try flushing the hole with carb cleaner to see if that solves the problem. Otherwise chase the hole with a 14mm tap.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Your drain plug comes out the right side of the engine horizontally. It is a 14mm plug with a 17mm hex head. It sounds like you pulled the right thing with what you described and the fact that the oil came out.

The parts person must have given you the wrong replacement part since, if you had purchased the correct one, the old one would have re-appeared as if by magic.

It sounds like your parts person is giving you a 14mm bolt with an incorrect thread pitch. This would explain it getting tight as soon as you start to screw it in as well as your old one not re-appearing.

Here's a link to the parts fiche
http://www.dgy.com/fiche_section_detail ... &fveh=3173

You need a plug, part # 92800-14000 ($1.64)
and a washer, part # 94109-14000 ($0.99)

Hey, something just rolled across the floor and under my desk.................

edit: how come I'm always the SECOND guy to hit the submit button?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It's still available from Honda, $1.67
Used on many modern Hondas, they should have it at your local shop.

# 92800-14000, BOLT, DRAIN PLUG (14MM) (Honda Code 0171777)
# 94109-14000, WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (14MM) (Honda Code 0171876), $0.99

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
J-T said:
The parts person must have given you the wrong replacement part since, if you had purchased the correct one, the old one would have re-appeared as if by magic.
LOL !!!

So true, so true...........

"The best way to find that lost part is to order a new one..."

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am in love with this website. As someone just starting out in motorcycles and who has almost no mechanical background, I am in awe of the rapid response and knowledge i have encountered so far. these things may seem simple to those of you who have experience, but every day is a new one to me.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just to put this out there, I found alot of these little things easy to get online at Z1 enterprises.

Thats where I had my replacement drain and filter bolts.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/

Okay, I'll go back to noob lurking now. :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
did you look in the oil catch can for your plug? :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Lost a few of mine down that dirty dark pool of hydrocarbon :D

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Meadus said:
Sorry your out of the garage now and in the sunlight :D We can see you :!:

So tell us "what you got", what's your poisson CB, CL or or or :D Big block 450 or just the mouse motor 175? Modify or restore?? Purest or cannibal :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
otr002 said:
Meadus said:
Sorry your out of the garage now and in the sunlight :D We can see you :!:

So tell us "what you got", what's your poisson CB, CL or or or :D Big block 450 or just the mouse motor 175? Modify or restore?? Purest or cannibal :lol: :lol:
When I'm done lurking for answers to my question, if I find nothing I'll make a thread about the bike. haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts