Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the last GL1000 I was looking at fell through.

I'm not as partial to the 78-79 models but this looks like a pretty good deal at $3200. I'm not partial to the set back on the handlebars but that's an easy fix. The windshield is OK and I like the seat.

But here is my dilemma, I have the option of getting a '95 ST1100 that's in pretty good shape for $3K (maybe even $2500) but it's got about 120,000 miles on it. Yea, I know, apples and oranges.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Trash the shield, put it on a serious diet, add Euro-style low bars, and you'd have a "different" cafe' bike.... (should be EASY to lose about 100+ Lbs)....
Might be kinda COOL! :cool: :D

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66Sprint said:
Trash the shield, put it on a serious diet, add Euro-style low bars, and you'd have a "different" cafe' bike.... (should be EASY to lose about 100+ Lbs)....
I don't think I'm feeling enough love for a late '70's GL1000 to work at losing 100 lbs., Hell, I can't even lose the 40 lbs on my lard ass. Besides, if I want to go fast I'll just pull out the old GSXR 1K race bike and hit the track again. Unless I lose the previously mentioned 40 lbs, I'm going to stay away from the track too. :)

That's me on the red RC51.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
No,No,No.....Lose about 100 lbs of steel off the bike.... (The exhaust alone is probably 65 lbs of that....)..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
cool one-of-a-kind semi-cafe vs. just another used ST1100...

no contest - go for the Wing!

That said, I don't think $3200 is a particularly good deal for that, even in it's very nice condition. It seems like a fair price - fair meaning not screwing either party. But, not a 'deal' for you. Regional price differences will apply, I guess, but around here, that'd be more in the $2500 range. Then again, he might negotiate down, and then you'd be right in line...

Good luck, whichever way you go.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
66Sprint said:
You mean something like this??

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Love the pipes, but the white one still needs a diet.......But yeah, getting closer to my thoughts...... :D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Buddy of mine over on SOHC4 did this Wing up and I'd love to have been able to get it when he sold it, but couldn't swing it then. :roll: Got a few more photos, if you'd like to see them, if not, no problem. Different folks have different taste. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to see a couple more pictures. It's not what I'd do to one, but it's interesting none-the-less with some good ideas. Where did he get the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I love the GL1000's. I hate you guys for getting me all stirred up about them again. :lol:
I had a 76 LTD with the gold wheels and such. What a great running bike that was and it really turned some heads. I couldn't do much to that one except make it original since it was a bit rare but I had a 79 that I did some aftermarket pipes, (Jardine I think) a different seat and a small Spitfire windshield. Not what some of you cafe guys would do I know but I loved it.
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
MNellis said:
66Sprint said:
You mean something like this??

i've been wanting a Gold Wing, and one understands. This picture indicates what's in my head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts