Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having trouble with oil coming from the bottom right screw on tach side. I decided to possibly change the oil seal. When I pulled the cable out this O ring was there ( see pic) You can tell where the screw that holds cable in has damaged it. I thought well there is the problem. I can't find an O ring in the parts diagram. Also my 71 cb 175 doesn't have it. Mine is 1972 cb 175. Am I right?

Thanks
LGR

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,106 Posts
The O ring does NOT belong....A leak at the cable end is probably a bad oil seal on the cable's drive shaft.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
just fixed the same problem the gasket behind the tach drive failed and were leaking oil in through the bolts
Was on a cb175k6

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Why not just put some fiber or copper washers under the screw heads to stop the leak.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn’t leaking behind the screw. Took the cable out started the bike and watched the oil come out of the seal. I did try crush washers. Ordered a seal. Pretty confident that will fix it.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Some pics that might help.

To remove the seal, pull the whole assembly out, using pliers on the flats of the drive pin.

When reassembling, place the first small washer on the end of the shaft, rather than leaving in place in the cam bush, problem getting it to line up otherwise,

DSCF2820.jpg DSCF2823.jpg DSCF2824.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately I only ordered the seal. Maybe I should get the whole kit and replace?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Just another thought.

When replacing the seal, assembled on the shaft with all the other washers, all nicely oiled up, use a deep socket of the correct diameter as a drift to push it all home. I can't remember the socket size I used, maybe a 12mm ?, but one that fits snuggly into the bore on the cam bush worked for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts