Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My throttle cable is sticky and I was wondering if MMO is good for lube.
Plus, does anyone have any tricks for getting oil down in the cable housing
without getting one of those things you get in a kit?

·
Registered
608 Posts
MMO is a penatrating oil wouldn't hurt to put some on but I would then lube it again with some 10w30 or even 3in1 just use the MMO to draw the other oil in

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
tape/seal it up the spout of a funnel, fill the funnel with oil, hang for a couple hours....
Or a hypodermic needle works........

·
Registered
608 Posts
66Sprint said:
tape/seal it up the spout of a funnel, fill the funnel with oil, hang for a couple hours....
Or a hypodermic needle works........
I poke a hole in the corner of a plastic sandwich bag, tape it down to the outer cable add oil and hang it up, the oil will go down the cable, use penatrating oil on stuck cables to free them up, saved some frozen cables on my QT50 project this way, took a couple of weeks for it to go thru but once the cable starts moving then put in regular lubricating oil

·
Registered
265 Posts
Harbor Freight now carries the cable luber for 3.99+tax. Just picked one up yesterday. Can't beat it. :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
tbpmusic said:
I've used this for 40 years -

40 YEARS!!! yeah bill but you were harvesting and rendering your own dinosaurs for oil back then too :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
The cheapo way is to hang the cable from a piece of string and mould a cone around the top end with some plasticine. Then fill the cone with motor oil and leave it alone til the cable does wee wee on the ground.

Some cables are meant to be lined with some kinda magic teflon lining and arent meant to be oiled, but I recon a little lube goes a long way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts