Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just as the title states, does anyone ever use a DWELL metre when tuning their twin? I haven't tried myself, but my dad said he always used to use one on his old Honda's in the late 60's and into the 70's on his Dream and CB500T. I borrowed his DWELL metre but haven't had a chance to try it out yet on by CB450.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I used it on my '76 GL1000 last year but it won't work like you might think on the 450. The reason is that once the points are set (dwell) you have to set the timing for both side separately. Once you set the timing on the left side the only way to set the timing on the right side is to change the point gap for the right.

With that said, there is no reason that you can't set the dwell meter on 4cyl and start out with a dwell setting of about 18 - 20 deg and adjust it from there. Since there is no spec on what the dwell should be on a 2 cylinder engine using a 4,6 or 8 cylinder guage, 20 deg is what I came up with. As long as the end result gives you a point gap that meets spec (.014" - .016) then you're good to go. In the end though, I don't think the point gap or dwell is as important as the timing.

Give it a try and let us know what you come up with, it doesn't hurt to experiment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts