Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may not be in the correct forum so excuse me if I am not. I recently purchased a 1987 Honda Hawk II showing 640 miles. It appears to be a garage queen as it still has the original tires and shows no discernable wear on any part. But I am a skeptic and wonder if anyone has found a way to obtain records or CarFax type reports for motorcycles. It was previously registered in New Jersey according to a 1978 sticker still on a front fork but NJ will not provide any information on previous owners.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct. The sellers, second owner, title showed 632 miles. They said they had ridden it some ( stupidly on 43 year old tires) and it had 640 miles when I got it. I would like to find a way to get any kind of information regarding the mileage from the original owner. It had New Jersey inspection stickers from 1978 and 1979. But I have found no way to get information on inspection records . Worse yet, I scraped the stickers off so if there was any kind of serial number it is long gone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Doesn't the title only show the odometer reading at the time of a sale/transfer? So when you bought it, that mileage should have been accurate. I know in PA there's an 'odometer disclosure' statement or something like that when assigning the title.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't the title only show the odometer reading at the time of a sale/transfer? So when you bought it, that mileage should have been accurate. I know in PA there's an 'odometer disclosure' statement or something like that when assigning the title.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct. The title has both the odometer reading at time of sale and a "I promise not to lie" statement. But unfortunately a few dishonest people are out there and mechanical odometers are easy to roll back. I think the condition of the bike goes a long way to say the mileage is actual but I was just trying to verify that. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any Carfax type reports for motorcycles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts