Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what the consensus is for the folks here. I've heard a bit about the woes of ethanol gas, and how these old twins don't appreciate it much. What do you do to combat that? Ethanol free gas doesn't seem to be available everywhere, but I always at least get premium. I throw in a splash of Marvel Mystery oil in my tank about every other fill up.
I'm thinking about switching to Seafoam. It seems to be the more popular choice. Are there any better ones to use at regular intervals, or am I just wasting money on additives?

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
We have regular gas here in OK but the problem with ethanol added to gasoline
is the ethanol collects moisture and caused a terrible nasty jell in the tank and carbs.
I use ethanol + gas in my car because it runs daily and keeps its fuel system clean.
Ethanol will cause trouble in engines that may set for long periods of non use. I ran a lawnmower
sales and service shop and I saw every spring what ethanol does if left setting in a tank for a while.
So I use no gasoline or oil additives. I have never seen where additives would help me but I am sure
there are instances where they are beneficial, especially if you are forced to use ethanol gas.

·
Registered
961 Posts
A few years ago when I had my Kawasaki Concours one of the board members who did small engine repair in Florida found that adding 2 Stroke oil to his fuel did wonders.

To be specific it is the 2 stroke oil that is classified as TW3. I use it in all my bikes and even my car engines. 20cc is good for a tank on a bike. I no longer use stabilizers or other additives. Works for FI and carbs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I regularly use Stabil in applications where fuel doesn't get used up fairly quickly or sits over the winter.
I more interested I regular use. My CL350 is a daily driver. Just wondering if there's something I should be up keeping with my fill ups. I notice a difference in performance when I throw a clue ounces on MMO in my tank. I wonder if there's something better.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
YES, even with non-ethanol gas...even that is misleading non-ethanol vs ethanol free. Depending on your states "requirements" for fuel... Years ago, a mechanic informed me South Carolina's worst gas was 10 times better and cleaner than the best gas in Georgia. That is another story, but I did discover it to be true....
If you use a additive (MMO, Seafoam, staybil, ect.) it will have its advantages..but it also depends on the quality of fuel to begin with.. I use staybil, if for any reason, keeping the fuel from braking down and varnish deposits (in carbs) to a minimum....
I am curious about the MMO and Seafoam for long term sitting...all my small motors get non-ethanol with staybil.....and to be honest my riding mower sits out in the weather all winter...and when it comes to starting...i charge the battery, it fires up and idols smooth even at low RPMs..
But Yes, I use it regularly in all my bikes even my new 2016 H**ley

·
Registered
37 Posts
A few years ago when I had my Kawasaki Concours one of the board members who did small engine repair in Florida found that adding 2 Stroke oil to his fuel did wonders.

To be specific it is the 2 stroke oil that is classified as TW3. I use it in all my bikes and even my car engines. 20cc is good for a tank on a bike. I no longer use stabilizers or other additives. Works for FI and carbs.
i dont know about this.... i've heard this before.
sounds like it would eventually ruin seats and valves.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i dont know about this.... i've heard this before.
sounds like it would eventually ruin seats and valves.
Well it's going on 4 years now and no issues in my BMW Z4 or Toyota Camry V6 or R1150RT. No emission problems, no compression problems. Seeing the investment I have in those vehicles I wouldn't use the TW3 if I wasn't confident in the use of the two stroke oil.

Since it is made to burn clean in a two stoke engine at much higher concentrations I can't see it doing damage to valves and valve seats in a 4 stroke engine.

Check out the MSDS of Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam. Mostly Kerosene I believe.

I will not use Stabil in any fuel I use. There are better products out there if that is your choice but I have had issues with Stabil.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I have been putting Stabil in all my bikes, 2 lawnmowers , 2 chainsaws, whipper snippers
gas blower etc.. for years with great results. Usually everything starts first pull after a long cold winter
in my shed.
What issues did you have with stabil?

Reactions: Bill H

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've put Seafoam in my gas for my small engines and motorcycles and I recommend it. Every time I change oil in my Diesel auto I throw a bottle of Seafoam into the diesel and it actually runs better - starts easier.

Reactions: ctrider

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I use nothing but non-ethanol gas in my Honda 350 and lawn mower. I also have an old Ironhead Sportster that I use 93 octane E10 in because I ride it regularly, even in the winter. Recently, it had been acting like it had some carb problems (hesitation, spitting back, and some pinging under load), so I tried some Seafoam in it. Added 4 oz. to 3 gallons of gas, and saw a noticeable improvement in how it ran after riding it a couple times. I'm guessing there was some varnish buildup in the carb and excessive carbon in the combustion chambers, and hopefully, the Seafoam is working on removing both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts