Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done the dremel tool port and polish? I was thinking about tking a flap wheel to my head while I've got it off and giving her a good once over polish for good measure. Any thoughts? Also I'm looking for any suggestions for getting all that nasty carbon buildup off of the dome and a friend said I shouldn't do it myself because I could mess up the head? I kinda just figured some steel wool, solvent, and some elbow grease would take care of it, am I wrong or does my friend not know what he's talking about?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
A Soft Brass Wheel chucked into a drill will remove the carbon build up in the combustion chamber of the head without damaging anything.

Just don't go crazy.

As far as porting goes I'll let some of the Racing experts jump in but from what I understand unless you know exactly what you are doing it's not a great idea.

These motors are already pretty high performance machines considering how much Horse Power they produce from such small displacement.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If it's just carbon... I've always wondered if a person could just spray Easy-Off oven cleaner - the real kind, not the "usable at room temperature" version - on it, then stick it in the oven and, err... bake it and then just wipe the carbon/solvent mess off with a towel. I'm assuming the head gets pretty hot in use.

But I'm not a mechanic, cook, or housekeeper. Have to ask one or more of them to see if my idea is meritorious or madness.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I once used the old style "real" Easy Off oven cleaner on my CL77 back in the 70's and I applied it cold & let it sit on the fins for maybe 10 mins. and then hosed it all off.I noticed that it did eat into the aluminum a bit but cleaned it real nice,I didn't have to have the bike hot either;if I was to do it again w/ the same strength product I'd put it on for maybe 5 minutes.
The engine fins,cases,etc. that haven't been painted or clear coated from the factory do have a type of treatment from the factory that keeps them a bit shiny even when they're old and I lost that when I used the oven cleaner so possibly just a very strong cleaning w/ a product that isn't quite as strong/etching as good old fashion Easy Off would work better.
Easy Off works great for taking off carbon from inside the cast iron cylinder walls on 2 strokes too.

I know of an excellent Honda porting/machinist expert who I'm going to send my cyl. head to when i get the time to get it taken off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man I will consider that for sure! Is there any way you could send me the contact info for that porting/machinist?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man That sounds like a good idea. I have a machine shop and I am in the process of mapping the head in solid works, so maybe once I've done that I can get in contact wtih someone who can give my some pointers on machinging it. For now I'm simply going to polish the exhaust and intake a little bit and mill close to a millimeter off of the head and see where that takes me.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Just a heads up here, bodacious, if you mill the head, you will be retarding the valve timing a tad. One mod most times, requires another mod. i.e. different cam, degreeing the cam, different intake/exhaust lengths.
Mr Honda has already made these very high output machines for their size..........JMHO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dtsmjr8dm thanks for the input, Any simple solution for fixing the retardation of the valve timing? Or is this something that I would have to go all new cam and etc with?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I would suggest doing a lot of research on porting before touching that, there's an excellent book by Vizard on it and a number of other books. Polishing the ports was found 40+ years ago to have a negative effect on the intake system.
In fact I would suggest doing a lot more research on the engine and what modifications will work before just having a go at it and finding out it doesn't/won't work. .040" off the head will likely give you squish and valve clearance problem not to mention the cam timing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts