Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta do a lifter adjustment - do I need to replace the gaskets every time I do this? Or should they be good for a few times?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I make my own, even clutch cover gaskets as I am poor. The clutch cover and flywheel cover gaskets, I glue to the cover and grease well. They are easy to make.

Its is not really necessary to remove the flywheel cover just to do valve working clearance checks and adjustments as there are 2 methods/indications of cam "setting".

However, yes, its good to remove the flywheel cover for your peace of mind.

If yours has the round slotted small cover at about 1 o clock on the clutch cover, smile, if not, get a new clutch cover gasket as well.

I also glue the cam cover seal in place. If your fighting to get the cover off and on, your doing it wrong.

Whilst the flywheel cover and cam cover is off, that's a good time to check cam sprocket "lean back" and chain lift from cam sprocket, as well as a cam chain adjustment and balance chain adjustment.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I make my own, even clutch cover gaskets as I am poor. The clutch cover and flywheel cover gaskets, I glue to the cover and grease well. They are easy to make.

Its is not really necessary to remove the flywheel cover just to do valve working clearance checks and adjustments as there are 2 methods/indications of cam "setting".

However, yes, its good to remove the flywheel cover for your peace of mind.

If yours has the round slotted small cover at about 1 o clock on the clutch cover, smile, if not, get a new clutch cover gasket as well.

I also glue the cam cover seal in place. If your fighting to get the cover off and on, your doing it wrong.

Whilst the flywheel cover and cam cover is off, that's a good time to check cam sprocket "lean back" and chain lift from cam sprocket, as well as a cam chain adjustment and balance chain adjustment.
I'll tell ya one thing; if you do the clutch, you NEED that paper gasket. I once tried to use gasket sealer and it left no clearance for the shifter to return, would end up hanging up on the case. Tolerances are that tight in a Nighthawk 450.

The other side though, IDK if even oil can leak from there? I think that gasket it mostly to keep water out and is re-useable so long as it doesn't fall apart.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a CM400. Want to do a top end gasket replacement eventually, but for right now, I just want to adjust the lifters.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes out of "paper" of the correct thickness or there abouts. The oe clutch cover gasket has a heat activated adhesive, so is designed ( to stay in place apart from the thin bit by the oil pressure switch !! ) to tear and can be a pita to remove it.

Back to the valve working clearance adjustment, you could use a tube of gasket sealer for the flywheel cover, the cam cover seal, if in good condition, can be re used.

You have a manual and know of cmsnl, and the cam cover bolts being a "butt" fitting, 6mm so just nipped plus a little bit, or 6lbs/ft torque. DO NOT SHEAR OFF the threaded part !

Some clutch covers have an "oil way" to the crank, so be warned. NO GASKET SEALER in a tube to be used with that type !

As to keeping water out is debatable, a lower part than the "water drain", so could be said to keep water in, once its in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts