Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was at my computer and got lucky on a search. It would be a good excuse to change the oil though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It depends on whether the problem is actually the starter motor, or the more common fail on these engines, the starter clutch. If it's the starter clutch, to do it correctly you need to pull the alternator cover (which means pulling the front sprocket cover as well) to access the rotor and starter clutch sprocket together. You can pull the rotor out of the timing cover but it's tricky to get the rotor back onto the starter clutch sprocket without rollers, springs and caps coming out of the clutch assembly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to just jumper directly to the motor, got nothing. But the one on my parts bike works fine that way. Just got the bikes a couple weeks ago, and already put fresh oil in both, didn't want to waste it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That's a decent test, so probably the motor. When I see a low number of posts from someone, I never know for sure how much experience they have with cranking problems on these twins... many hear the grinding and gnashing sounds a slipping starter clutch makes and think it's the starter motor itself. To do the motor properly, you really should remove the alternator cover. IIRC, it's difficult (or impossible) to get the sprocket back on the starter motor shaft if you don't

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, i found out that cover needs to come off, but do I lose just a little bit of oil doing that, or a whole lot, or none?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If you lean the bike to the right, like by the handlebars against a wall with it in gear, you won't lose much at all. If you pull the bolts out of the starter motor mounts before you take off the cover and have the cable already off the post as well, you can just reach across and pull the starter motor out of the case once you get the cover off. It has an o-ring on the snout that goes into the case, and since you're going to pull it out you should get a new o-ring while you're at it

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I suppose you could replace the chain but honestly, they last a very long time. Can't say I've ever seen one break nor have I ever had to replace one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts