Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

Happy Victoria Day to my fellow Canadians! To all you Americans, happy Monday....:D Thanks for taking the time to read this - had two electrical type questions if anyone can answer for me please & thank you:

1) Where does this belong? And what does it do? Act as a ground? CORD,SWITCH.EARTH, product number: 32111319000

honda-cl350-scrambler-1972-k4-usa-speedometer-tachometer_bigma000149f19_9712.jpg

2) I located a brown wire, with an empty connector/terminal, in the headlight bucket. From what I could tell, there should be no brown wire there - the brown runs from the ignition switch to the tail light. Anyone know why it might be in the bucket?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The brown wire as you indicate is a switched connector that is used on many Honda models through the ages. I have used it in the past for an accessory connection since the 12V switched feature worked well for my particular use at the time. Just leave it alone if you are not going to use it, as it is plastic sheathed for protection against grounding inside the bucket. It may have had a use on some model in the past, yet I have never come across one connected into a wiring circuit so far in my restoration adventures.

The wire with the two lug connectors sure looks like a ground. If the wire colour is green then I would say yes that is the purpose. Normally the wiring harness has ground function built into the bulb circuit, yet this one may not and need the extra ground to earth the meters or their bracket.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The extra brown in the headlight is for the parking light bulb used on some European models. The wire with the two eyelets goes from the handlebar mounting stud to the meter bracket to ground the handlebars.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The first run of CB/CL 350s didn't have that ground wire. A lot of them had the speedo/tachs replaced under warranty, the dash lights were grounding through the drive cables and the electrical current was etching the bearings. The needles would start running wild, all over the dial, time to replace the gauges. Adding ground wires, as per the Honda service bulletin, solved the problem.

Reactions: dtsmjr8dan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts