Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

thx for admitting me to this forum! Always a pleasure to talk to people who share the same interest :).

Planning to buy a CM400T (1981) with comstar wheels and doing a modification to single shock and spoke wheels, to get the old school look. I know that the best solution would be CM/CB 400/450E hubs and spoke wheels, but man, they are hard to find! So I came across a couple of CB350/400f wheels, which are both 18". Questions you could help me with:
1. do the hubs fit in my CM400? (I guess that axle diameter and width of the hubs are relevant)
2. since the standard CM400 T wheel size is 16" rear and 18" front, will I have any issues with these new wheels, which are both 18"? Standard tires are front 3.5x18 and rear 4.6x16, both ending at the same outer diameter of 12.5/12.6". So guess the new wheels would both get 3.5x18 tires (and different width of course)?
3. Can I fit larger tires than 3.5x18? I am referring to these old school thick tires which create the ultimate bobber look. I would think that anything above 12.5/12.6" would cause spacing issues and also speedometer deviations, right? How is this generally solved?
4. Both my CM400 and the new CB350/400 have a disc at front. Will the braking caliper on my CM400 fork fit on the disc of the CB350/400 wheels?
5. If I would manage to get a drum brake for the front, would this be usable when driving the bike in traffic, compared to a disc brake?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Dew, the first thing you should do is check your Conversations and properly introduce yourself to the community as described in what I've already sent you. This is how you know you have a message, in case you aren't yet aware

·
Sensei
27,033 Posts
#5....Yes if properly adjusted/set-up...
#4... No, I don't believe so.....
#3... Yes if you re-lace to wider rims, but steering and handling WILL suffer.....
#2... Since you want period typical 5.00 X 16 "harley-style" tires, when you re-lace the wheels, use wider 16" rims suitable for those tires.......0.083 error in speedometer readings
#1 Yes, axle diameters are the same, it's just a matter of the correct spacers..... A CM 400E already uses the drum brakes and is a bolt in swap......The rim width limits you to a 3.75 X 18 (or a 100/90 x18), either of which is borderline too wide......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dew, the first thing you should do is check your Conversations and properly introduce yourself to the community as described in what I've already sent you. This is how you know you have a message, in case you aren't yet aware
View attachment 304980
Hi,

sorry, my bad/enthusiasm, already corrected and did an introduction post.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I'll be following your wheel swap as well. You may find some info or parts on the forums at Hondaboard.DE

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, my 450 DLS drum front is easily as good as any earlier disc I've ridden from the same era and similar sized bike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts