Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im on a college student budget but I "neeed" saddlebags and have access to a shop! So I was thinking id be able to pick up two regular messenger styled bags from just about anywhere, Im assuming that'd be cheaper than buying some $100+ saddlebags. Im not too concerned about material, because I never ride in the rain. I'd just make sure the bags arent flimsy to the point where I risk a tear on a road.
I'm saving the mounting bracket for a separate thread, I just wanted to focus on the actual bags for now and make sure what I was thinking was even possible/logical. I would want the saddlebags to be removable though, for when the bike's sitting outside for an extended amount of time- I know that much.

I saw LDR used briefcases- which is pretty freakin awesome if you ask me lol. But I prefer soft vs hard, so figured I could do my own setup with fabric bags.
Anything else I should be weary of when looking for regular bags I could use? Or is this a terrible idea all together?

btw, this would be for my cm400

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good Thinking with the messenger bags. I have old actual canvas saddlebags from a horse on one of my bikes, I just liked the vintage feel of them. Good luck!

Jason

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly the feel I was going for, thanks haha.-rigging up horse bags on your bike is pretty b.a. too!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Some things to consider would be waterproof and tough enough to stand the hear of the exhaust. Heavy Canvass comes to mind for toughness, but may have to be lined with something for waterproof....maybe sprayed with waterproofing for tent canvass? A bar from the rear grab bar mounting bolt to the rear foot pegs to keep them off the exhaust if they are sitting close to the openings. I have a set of soft leather (not real??) that burned a hole right through the bottom of one because it sat too close to the heat of the exhaust. I have since raised them up.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
not sure what your idea of cheap is but a quick search of ebay turned up soft bags for as little as $15 and hard bags for as little as $45

I don't think I could make something for less than that

Reactions: custom_seatmaker

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here are the pictures. I didn't have to do much rigging at all to put these on my 1963 Tote Gote. There are original WWII saddle bags that I had picked up but the don't look like they would be too hard to replicate. All that runs between them are two pieces of leather. And yes, that is a 1911 mounted on the tank :)
Keep us updated on how you make out!

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure what your idea of cheap is but a quick search of ebay turned up soft bags for as little as $15 and hard bags for as little as $45

I don't think I could make something for less than that
I see your point there. I guess Im trying to find the subtle balance between price and quality. I'm under the assumption I could find two regular bags for a total of $50 that would be higher quality of the saddlebag I could get for the same price. I'm a big deal hunter online- sales for regular bags may come up here and there, not so much for saddlebags lol. So that's a factor too. Perhaps I can get two discounted bags that are decent for the vs of a regular priced saddlebag that would've been less suitable. Just takes flirting with the market a bit I suppose :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
my search on ebay was for used bags...there were thousands of hits...(results included lots of bag parts rather than whole bags)

it did turn up several very nice looking soft bags that will simply attach with little to no effort for less than $50 delivered

I got these bags from a member hear for the price of shipping a while ago...eventually they'll end up on on my bagger project which has stalled

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think youre right outbie I might go the used ebay track. Is there a name for the bar that runs under the seat of the cm400a?
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I just want to search for some more mounting strategies people used.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
There was a member who posted on here 4 years back and he installed a pr. of military Mermite Cans(they are for hauling grub out to the troops on the field but the US military stopped using them back in the early 80's)to his bike for hardbags and I really liked the idea.I want to find a pr. of old Krauser hard saddle bags along w/ the racks on the sides from a vintage BMW 'R' bike for my set-up.. even though they look for a lot of $ for them in worn out shape.
You mentioned LDR and his set-up and that he used briefcases for his bike,I think the Krauser hard bags look a lot like briefcases from the sides though they do hold quite a bit;anybody have a link to LDR's briefcases ?

edit:also a late(from me) Welcome to the forum cyborg ;) ,I live over in Westmoreland county about 20 miles from the center of Pittsburgh;the weather sure has been great for Dec. here lately.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I recently rigged leather equestrian saddlebags that I got off eBay onto my '76 Triumph bonneville. They look great (in my opinion). I uploaded a video to youtube showing how I did it:

They don't get hot from the exhaust, and I don't ride in the rain, so no issues with water. I've been very happy with them!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
866 Posts
I find army surplus stores usually have some cool tough water proof bag options.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts