Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Simplest one is a metal can that you like, brake fluid, beer, etc. with a screw on top. Toss the cap. Fill the can with the plastic type pot scrubbers. Insert hose @1/2 in making sure it's a very loose fit, air has to escape the can. Secure it to the bike frame upright. Drain it every oil change. If oil suddenly starts spewing out the top that means the can is filled to the point the hose end is submerged.
The pot scrubbers will collect the oil from the blowby gasses and condense it so it stays in the can

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I've thought about venting the breather into the air filter crossover tube, using a T fitting. The lower end of the T would have a tube with an easily-removed plug, so any moisture or oil that gets trapped in it can be drained from time to time. This is, essentially, how the vent on my Valkyrie is set up, and it seems to work well enough.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I've thought about venting the breather into the air filter crossover tube, using a T fitting. The lower end of the T would have a tube with an easily-removed plug, so any moisture or oil that gets trapped in it can be drained from time to time. This is, essentially, how the vent on my Valkyrie is set up, and it seems to work well enough.
Only problem there is that if the engine has significant blowby from worn rings the oil vapors will enrichen the mixture too much. The gasses won't have enough time to separate oil from air before being sucked in to burn

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Only problem there is that if the engine has significant blowby from worn rings the oil vapors will enrichen the mixture too much. The gasses won't have enough time to separate oil from air before being sucked in to burn
Umm, yeah, if your bike is that bad, just run a large hose out the bottom, and let it drip! :D

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
While we're talking about breathers, how does this Cap. breather piece work? Would you leave it to vent, or could you route a breather hose from the rear cam cover to this piece and just have blow by drip back into the engine?
Got a link? It looks like it could have a PCV in it; I've thought about using one of those, too (if not that style, an in-line type). In any case, whatever comes out the pipe will make a mess of the engine without a hose on it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Capellini breather but haven't tried it out. My father-in-law's 1972 Bonnie is stock and has a breather tube running the length of the frame and open ended by the rear fender. Got me thinking about making a catch can for the top breather hose and the crank breather.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I have the Capellini breather but haven't tried it out. My father-in-law's 1972 Bonnie is stock and has a breather tube running the length of the frame and open ended by the rear fender. Got me thinking about making a catch can for the top breather hose and the crank breather.
The old basic road draft tube, cars used to be built that way. Roads would be oiled down in the center of each lane. Problem with doing that on a bike is if there's significant oil being blown out it gets all over the rear tire, then things get really interesting in a turn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The old basic road draft tube, cars used to be built that way. Roads would be oiled down in the center of each lane. Problem with doing that on a bike is if there's significant oil being blown out it gets all over the rear tire, then things get really interesting in a turn.
I'll be using CB500t cam covers...I know the front cover ties to the rear via the upward facing hose.

Then the rear cover also has the vent...What I was asking was, Can I route the rear cam cover vent hose into this breather cap to 'loop' the system.

Or, would the rear cam cover, and the breather both need separate vent tubes, possibly routed into a catch can?

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.