Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just stumbled onto this. looks very involved, but would be interesting and cheaper than the THR magneto at $750, well maybe, I haven't looked up any of the parts referenced or if they are even available. wonder if it actually works well....

http://www.race-uscra.com/Other/HondaIg ... 201969.pdf

interesting.

anybody run a magneto as opposed to the alternator battery setup?

·
Registered
242 Posts
wow, id love to read the article, anybody have a working link?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can't find another link, but low and behold I saved the pdf to my thumb drive and its actually still on there! it is a very interesting article, though much of it beyond me.

anyone have a solution for posting this online? can this site host it somehow like it does pictures?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Go to post reply.
Look down for Browse. select the file you want.
Add the file.
Wait till its loaded then
Insert the file.
Should be simple if you can search your usb drive.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, lets see if it works!

[attachment=0:2an57k5r]homemademagneto.pdf[/attachment:2an57k5r]

and it does! simple indeed! thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I did that to my CL77 back in the late sixties, it worked pretty well, I didn't notice any kind of power difference. Low speed running and idle quality wasn't so good with the spark advance locked, you needed to keep the points adjusted or it was hard to start. I reverted mine back to stock after a while, it wasn't worth the hassle just to get out of running a battery. If you want lots of spark energy, the Ford TFI ignition units can run off a set of points: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417099 A pair of TFI modules running a pair of low impedance spool coils would put out some really good sparks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats cool you did something like this, but yeah, it looks complicated. and in the end I just used a Shorai battery, its just 1 pound anyway! and nice to have lights in an emergency if the bike is off. And i am using a pamco and 3 ohm dynacoils, so my spark should be pretty good. those ford modules would be like switching to a Hondaman ignition, where the points then just become the trigger, if I am reading it right :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
wow, i kinda wanna try that HEI conversion.seems cool and relatively easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts