Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to the bike world and wanting to change from drum to disk on the front brake. I've got a 1980 cm400t and a 2004 honda rebel parts bike. No engine on the rebel but was thinking of swapping the front tire and the brakes to the cm400t. Does anyone think I'd have any issues?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Your CM400T and your Rebel should both have disc brakes.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
You most likely have a CM400E . Spoked wheels and drum brakes, no tachometer.

The drum brake lower fork legs are different. You might be able to swap the entire front end though. You'd have to measure the two and compare.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I think the fork tubes on the 400's are 33mm dia. and I think you can swap the forks from the disc brake 400 into your triple clamps along with the front wheel & caliper.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The CMX250, Rebel, has 33mm forks. All Balls Racing conversion chart does not show a compatibility with the CM400 Fork conversion | All Balls Racing so that make me think there will be some sort of stem issue besides the normal length question. Using the 400 triples could work but I suspect the the front end of the CMX is narrower which would mean using the 400 axle, possibly different wheel bearings and getting the caliper aligned to the new rotor position.
Also in this information is the CMX250 uses a 3.00/18 tire which is 80/90/18 in metric, narrower than the 400.
It's worth a try though, disc braked spoke wheels

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The CMX250, Rebel, has 33mm forks. All Balls Racing conversion chart does not show a compatibility with the CM400 Fork conversion | All Balls Racing so that make me think there will be some sort of stem issue besides the normal length question. Using the 400 triples could work but I suspect the the front end of the CMX is narrower which would mean using the 400 axle, possibly different wheel bearings and getting the caliper aligned to the new rotor position.
Also in this information is the CMX250 uses a 3.00/18 tire which is 80/90/18 in metric, narrower than the 400.
It's worth a try though, disc braked spoke wheels
On the 350/450 series, the fenders are different between a disk bake and drum brake model too. The difference is around the caliper. Better check this too. Let us know how this comes out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. And I will definitely let you all know how it turns out. I'll get some pics up as I got through with the swap

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts