Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just removed fork trees from my '74 cl450, planning on going with tapered rollers on reassembly. Decided to measure the races and found that they are different sizes. Top OD is 48.5mm, bottom OD is 50mm. Bottom race is also thicker. Hadn't read about this anywhere. Just looking for some input from people who have done this before. Races were tight in the neck, don't think it had ever been apart. Is this correct? Also, I'm having trouble posting pics. Any quick suggestions? I have a Photobucket account.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yes to all your 450 questions.........

The races are different (top/bottom), and the lower one can be a major PIB to get in/out of the steering "neck"........

Get some aftermarket roller bearing replacements - many posts here about this.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just recently installed All Balls tapered bearing races. I can show you some tricks to install. Ring me, danWI

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did it the other night, the allballs kit ssh750 is a perfect fit.
no gap, no grinding, didn't heat the bearing or freeze the stem, used the thin washer from the kit the dust seal some grease and a piece of pvc pipe. I used the spare large washer in the kit between the pvc pipe and the bearing, two good whacks with a rubber mallet and the bearings were seated perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts