Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I purchased a CB500 parts bike with a titled frame to use in lieu of my non-titled 450 frame. I know the engines will fit so thats no problemo but I'm considering building a 450 race engine out of the 500 engine (it's completely torn to pieces and in a box so most of the hard work is done for me :lol: The cylinder is pitted really bad though and oversized pistons are tough to come by. So my question is; can I buy a 450 cylinder off ebay and will it match right up or are there other differences? I'm missing the crankshaft/rods as well so those will also have to be replaced; probably will lightened units.

Thanks fellas!

-Matt

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Any performance rods or crank parts will cost you several thousand dollars by the time you're done. The 500T head can be used on a 450 cylinder but it alters compression numbers if I recall. There's a lot more to it.

You might find this to be some interesting reading: http://www.thefang.co.uk/

GB :)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The 500 is a 450 "stroker" which explains why the crank is missing......
The 500 head has a lower compression ratio, but the 450 head will bolt on a 500....
450 and 500 pistons will NOT interchange (different deck heights I believe).....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I wanted to convert the 500 into a 450 I would have to replace the crankshaft/rods and cylinders? Does the head still match up?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, you could use the 500 head, but it's lower compression ratio, etc, will mean you'll have to clay the pistons for clearance....The drive gear to the clutch is different toothing too..... You would be better off finding another whole 450 engine to build....Probably be cheaper too....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, I gotcha. The only reason I was going to build the race engine is because I have all these extra 500 parts lying about. I have no real reason to do this other than that and fun :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts