Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted DID alloy wheels or alloy racing wheels for a CB160. Let me know if you have any

·
Registered
3,180 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't think you will like the 2.15" width.

I bought a pair of 'Akront type' shouldered alloy rims- WM2 1.85" wide x 18" 36 hole -for my Sloper project. Got them on Ebay last year for a very nice price- well under $100 each, shipped. They laced up real nice with the original spokes. I feel I lucked out at that price and that I couldn't lose on the deal, so I jumped on it. There were three for sale and I'm sorry I didn't buy the third- it would look real nice on my CB 450 rear.

At 1.85", they are slightly wider than the original stock 1.65" DIDs and saved me a couple of pounds of unsprung weight overall, but it's more a matter of looks than performance considering the HP I have on tap, and they trued up very well, unlike the battered originals, which I could never get right. I thought I did a good job balancing them but it turns out the front still needs work. If you're considering performance, get the WM1s. The rim/tire combo I have looks a slight bit disproportionate, but maybe it's just me. I'm too lazy to take photos right now but will if anybody wants to get a look at them.

I mounted a cheap pair of 3.0" tires on them- that's stock width for the rear and a bit oversized for the front- and had to use a bit of force to install the front wheel with the front tire fully inflated. That is a match with the rim width according to a chart posted here, somewhere.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys I appreciate all the help, yes I reached out to the first company but my goodness they are expensive ?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
They are a one stop shop with a fine reputation, and they reflect that in their pricing. And then there are shipping costs...

Wheel building may be talked about as a dark art, but honestly its not that hard, and using new parts only makes it easier.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that the 160 racers tend to use WM-0 or WM-1 width rims...... Just FYI....

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts