Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the bike to where it'll start (easily) and run until it starves or chokes of fuel.

However, the engine makes this rhythmic clatter noise and I'm wanting to know how serious it is.

Here's the video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/luketrash/4985607876/

You should easily hear it clattering. Timing chain tension, bad pistons, plinking?? It's a new sound and a new engine to me.

Thanks!

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
I'd GUESS starter chain/clutch gear (rollers and springs sticking) or loose camchain, but narrowing down the exact area will help diagnose.....can you use a screwdriver as a stethescope to locate the noise?

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm planning on doing. I've got a mechanic stethoscope to isolate the source. I have to get it to the point where it'll run and idle for me though. The rhythmic noise makes me think it's either the cam chain or starter chain causing the noise for some reason. I know that it's not how it should sound based off of some CL175 videos on youtube.

Hopefully not some sort of coffin nail sound though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I may be wrong but it seemed louder on the left side. Re-adjust the cam chain if that can be done. Sounded like some kinda chain slap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts