Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, I’m asking if there’s a site that
has really detailed pics of a 1982 Nighthawk 450?
I’ve taking everything thing apart and didn’t really
label all my fasteners as to what goes where?
Just wanting some extra assurance? Thx

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
When I tear one down I put every fastener back where it came from that I can get by with. The rest go in plastic gal or quart bags and I use black marker to identify each part. I then line the bags up in a box as they come out so I can reach in and replace the parts in the order I took them off. If the part needs cleaned or painted I do what needs to be done then put it back in order.
I some times work on more than one motor at a time and mark each box and bag so I know what part goes where. Takes a little more time but I dont try to put a 160 part on a 350 motor.

At 76 my mind isnt as sharp as it was and this helps me keep things in order.

just some thoughts .

Bill

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I also do the plastic bag/magic marker technique, Bill. My memory isn't what it used to be either at 72.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx, guys.. it’s a little too late for the bags now.. guess I got over anxious. Parts aren’t scattered everywhere,
most are with there parts.. Just a few scragglers!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a big enough garage that I could just spread all my disassembled parts all over my benches, rack and tables around the garage with respect to the area of the bike or engine it came from (engine parts mostly on the rack and bench area where I re-assembled the head). I looked at all the parts nearly every day over the course of a year apart and kept the vision of, and locations of, all the parts fresh in my mind... so it was pretty easy for me. But, I know that some don't have as much space as I do (and I'm thankful for it)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BRAGGER!!! Lol. I’m pretty mechanical inclined, I’ve been
working in an automotive manufacturing plant
for 22 years. Hopefully I can it all back together. Lol

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a big enough garage that I could just spread all my disassembled parts all over my benches, rack and tables around the garage with respect to the area of the bike or engine it came from (engine parts mostly on the rack and bench area where I re-assembled the head). I looked at all the parts nearly every day over the course of a year apart and kept the vision of, and locations of, all the parts fresh in my mind... so it was pretty easy for me. But, I know that some don't have as much space as I do (and I'm thankful for it)
This site needs an "unlike" button.:x:cool:
TOOLS

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hey, if you work in an assembly plant, you know the proper order of things... I started on simple stuff, like flathead lawn mower engines in the early '60s. Can't get a lot simpler than that. I know it helps to have some mechanical inclination, but I think many people can adapt to it if they get past their fear of taking it all apart. Example: while I worked for the Police Garage for Tampa and had to visit the Harley shop before they bought Kawasakis, the Harley guys knew I owned a CBX and gave me crap about it every time I went to pick up parts. I finally talked the Service Manager (and one of two brothers who owned the dealership) into going for a ride with me one evening... he brought his XLCR with Sifton cams and other hot parts in it and we stopped for a drag race. He asked me how we should start and I said "just leave and I'll chase you"... and of course (but much to his surprise), I caught him in 2nd gear and blew by him by 3rd. We came to a stop, talked a bit and he said "man, it's fast - but what happens if it blows up?? you can't rebuild that...". I had to laugh and reminded him that though it wasn't as simple as a Harley, it was still an engine with all the same parts... just more of them and arranged differently

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome!!! Yeah, I’m not much of a Harley guy, and now they want to move overseas?
I’ve always had Honda’s and 1 kz 400. I’ve worked
on weedeaters, lawnmowers, and a few boat motors over the years. I’ve never did an engine tear down
like rings and pistons or clutches. This is my first rebuild of painting a frame and fork seals and stem bearings.
As I get older I like to tinker with things. Something of a pride thing I guess, you know what I mean?
I work in Georgetown, KY. I build the Camry, Avalon and Lexus at the Toyota plant. Thx Tom.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Those fiches are great, it's always nice to have a backup plan in case you forget.

Getting off topic about Harley but there's a lot of rhetoric around how bad/weak etc. they are for that decision. But when a fifth of your product just got 20% more expensive, what can you do as a public traded company that needs to generate maximum profits to pay out maximum dividends to stock owners? Especially since US sales are declining...

Good thing our Honda twins have survived almost 40 years so we don't have to worry about any of that

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those fiches are great, it's always nice to have a backup plan in case you forget.

Getting off topic about Harley but there's a lot of rhetoric around how bad/weak etc. they are for that decision. But when a fifth of your product just got 20% more expensive, what can you do as a public traded company that needs to generate maximum profits to pay out maximum dividends to stock owners? Especially since US sales are declining...

Good thing our Honda twins have survived almost 40 years so we don't have to worry about any of that
Yeah I didn’t want to open up a can of worms on that one, but they’re whole selling point is It’s made in America!!
The Honda’s were always called rice burners or Jap bikes etc etc. But Honda’s are reliable and durable.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
As I get older I like to tinker with things. Something of a pride thing I guess, you know what I mean?
I work in Georgetown, KY. I build the Camry, Avalon and Lexus at the Toyota plant. Thx Tom.
That's how it starts, and you just have to pay close attention and when something gets by you, you have this place to help you figure it out. Take lots of pictures, and take as clear a picture as you can when you post one to ask a question - as long as we can zoom the picture (guaranteed to work properly if you upload your pictures from a computer) we can usually see something that will give you the tip you need. Good for you that you're working on a brand at work that is doing well here and isn't likely going anywhere... how ironic that Japanese cars are being assembled here and the great American bike is going to be assembled elsewhere... to me, a lot of it is corporate greed

·
Registered
805 Posts
I never really understood any of the selling points of a Harley but then I'm not american or from the part of Canada that would be equivalent. I was watching a Harley at an intersection and I could see the guys whole arm vibrating on the handlebar, I don't get it. I'll take my fuel efficient, little old honda that there are excellent fiches for from various sites as well as some scattered throughout the service manual (definitely on topic still).

As for corporate greed, 20% of all CEOs are psychopaths according to some survey done. Also the quotation from Mr. Robot "we voted for this, not with our elections but with our dollars" applies, maybe not we personally but a lot of people somewhere sure did

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's how it starts, and you just have to pay close attention and when something gets by you, you have this place to help you figure it out. Take lots of pictures, and take as clear a picture as you can when you post one to ask a question - as long as we can zoom the picture (guaranteed to work properly if you upload your pictures from a computer) we can usually see something that will give you the tip you need. Good for you that you're working on a brand at work that is doing well here and isn't likely going anywhere... how ironic that Japanese cars are being assembled here and the great American bike is going to be assembled elsewhere... to me, a lot of it is corporate greed

You’re exactly right. It is ironic that a Japanese automobile is the most American made car out there. Been a great company
for me. I think if Harley moves their manufacturing it will hurt them in the long run. Thx for the tips and advice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never really understood any of the selling points of a Harley but then I'm not american or from the part of Canada that would be equivalent. I was watching a Harley at an intersection and I could see the guys whole arm vibrating on the handlebar, I don't get it. I'll take my fuel efficient, little old honda that there are excellent fiches for from various sites as well as some scattered throughout the service manual (definitely on topic still).

As for corporate greed, 20% of all CEOs are psychopaths according to some survey done. Also the quotation from Mr. Robot "we voted for this, not with our elections but with our dollars" applies, maybe not we personally but a lot of people somewhere sure did
Yeah I never quite understood the fascination with Harley’s. My friends have a few, then when they buy a Harley they have to go
buy all the Harley clothes they can find. Lmao

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Harley is now only 51% American parts. The rest are Chinese/Taiwanese/etc. I saw a site where a guy specializes in them and has a jig for repairing their Chinese connecting rods.
Even most of their shirts are made in China now. Probably lots more of their accessories. I was in a stealership a couple of weeks ago and there was a Bell helmet rebadged to H.D. at over double the price of the original Bell.

Corporate greed is the only answer that fits in my book.

This thread has certainly gotten off track of the original topic.

Reactions: Merkdawg0084

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'd buy a Harley except I can't afford all the T-shirts. Unfortunately HD lost their way years ago and seems to slowly be waking up to the modern world motorcycle. They've announced an ADV style bike that could be interesting.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
This site needs an "unlike" button.:x:cool:
TOOLS
Just now saw you snuck that one in on me... :D

Harley is now only 51% American parts. The rest are Chinese/Taiwanese/etc. I saw a site where a guy specializes in them and has a jig for repairing their Chinese connecting rods.
Even most of their shirts are made in China now. Probably lots more of their accessories. I was in a stealership a couple of weeks ago and there was a Bell helmet rebadged to H.D. at over double the price of the original Bell.

Corporate greed is the only answer that fits in my book.
None of what you said is a surprise at all based on the sentence directly above - I agree, and as a country we've become total sellouts for profit. I was just having the same conversation this morning with a customer of mine who owns the 3rd house ever built on beautiful Bayshore Blvd. in Tampa in 1898, and the hand-craftsmanship in that house is incredible. Gone are the workers who built things with the talents and pride of artisans 100 years ago, and it's a damn shame.

This thread has certainly gotten off track of the original topic.
Yes, in large part by me... I figured the topic had been well-covered by the bag-and-tag crowd, and I wanted to give a little encouragement to the assembly-line guy... then it became a Harley discussion!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts