Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im a new member and not really good on PCs (senior years!!) I have a CL 175 1971, Ive stripped the engine down, carefully bagging and tagging everything and lots of photos, I need amongst other things a new or good s/h kickstart pinion gear, pt. no. 28211-235-020, mine has half the teeth missing, no wonder the kickstart didn't work!!! had no luck finding one, so hoping someone on here can help me out. Fair price paid and I will of course cover the postage, I think its the same part for most of the small twins. Many Thanks Martin.Mob 07742417234.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thanks for the replies, looking how this works it doesn't revolve fully on the shaft only half a turn, so could I take it off, turn 180degrees, put back on and I would then be using the virgin cogs that haven't been used? Am I being thick or would this work? Martin.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I've read of that being done.

It wasn't an option on the non functional kickstart on my US imported CL175 :p

cog.JPG

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I wouldn't do that, the reason they lose teeth is from a PO kicking it over while running. The teeth are smashed/ground off . The pinion gear wasn't designed to be abused like that and it's expidentially more likely to fail and fill your engine with bits of metal

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wouldn't do that, the reason they lose teeth is from a PO kicking it over while running. The teeth are smashed/ground off . The pinion gear wasn't designed to be abused like that and it's exponentially more likely to fail and fill your engine with bits of metal
Welcome to this amazing forum.
I concur. Things are only going to get worse unless the pinion is replaced. I wouldn't take the chance since you already have it apart. A little Honda Bond goes a long way :p Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I wouldn't do that, the reason they lose teeth is from a PO kicking it over while running. The teeth are smashed/ground off . The pinion gear wasn't designed to be abused like that and it's expidentially more likely to fail and fill your engine with bits of metal
I fully agree with that, it's what I'd do. Just that I had read about folks turning the gear around and chancing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts