Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a tank in near perfect condition and I want to use it in my restoration. There are 2 dents in the left side and I am wondering if they can be fixed without ruining the paint. They aren't your usual circular/symmetrical jobbers and they are not quite creased. I think there is hope...does anybody have a DIY trick? I was thinking of suction cups or some sort of vacuum setup. See pics...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I would suggest the same thing. One of the "pop a dent" guys may be able to fix that without body and paint work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I got to thinking about the angle need to access the dent and how to apply pressure, took a long bolt I found laying in a parking lot last year and put a bend in it so it would rest on the bottom of the tank and apply pressure to the dent. I think is how the paint less repair folks do it. Wrapped it with duct tape to avoid sharp points and high spots. The pictures show I got about 90% of the dent out and the rest I can do with a little filler and paint down the road. It looks better.

Why I would not recommend this my way is that you can apply pressure the filler neck and bend or break that seal. Mine moved some and I let off and kind of pried it back gently. I am sure there is ankle or bend you can make to avoid this but I think filler and paint is my answer going forward. Let me know if the paint less pro's can do it and how much.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
I took my CB450 tank (looks like a kid threw a baseball at it once) to a paintless dent repair guy, and he said he couldn't fix it. Basically he said that Honda made their tanks with real steel back in 1970. Today's vehicles are more like aluminum foil. :lol:

He also said he thought it would be difficult to get proper leverage to work the dent without damaging the rest of the tank. I'm going to have mine painted anyway, but was just trying to avoid filler. Anyway, that was one man's opinion. Somebody else may be able to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the past I have used a air compressor, I put the Gas cap on and pull the Pep cock off and force air through the pep cock hole quick burst of air , watch it closely for the dents to pop out

kirt

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Compressed air can splay or spread the inverted "U" that forms the tank.....It may wobble or not fit the frame afterwards.....

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
On the advice of of my little buddy down at the body shop along with info from an earlier post here I tried filling the tank with water and freezing it. I was a bit concerned that I would do more harm than good as Steve alluded to.

After several freeze-thaw cycles last winter I had managed to create several opportunities to pop a top and contemplate the situation but otherwise had not accomplished squat.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
There are quite a few videos on YouTube on repairing dents in tanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
66Sprint said:
Compressed air can splay or spread the inverted "U" that forms the tank.....It may wobble or not fit the frame afterwards.....
I saw this happen...thought I was seeing things!
I'm gonna try and push it from the inside. Just need to find a way to leverage the bar as I see using the filler neck like they do in the videos could make more problems. I may look into one of those paintless dent repair shops but I feel that if there is any sort of involvement in a project these guys won't get involved.
I just want to avoid repainting...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think a bar with a smaller curve that the ones on the video will reach in there. I would guess it would work better if it was warm? I was surprised the tanks are not double walled. My paint has seen better days so I was not worried about damage. I would guess you could pry against the inside of the tank to some degree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts