Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

need some dent to be taken out of the gas tank, and i dont want to mess up the paint on the tank. any ideas, i have used compressed air on some smaller dents but there are somewhat large and i dont want to reck the original paint. any ideas i would be glad to hear some diffrent options.

thanks.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
You should never use highly compressed air in a Honda tank.... The tanks are cross-sectionally a "C" where they sit over the frames, so enough pressure will open (widen)the center tunnel enough to prevent it from seating on its rubber supports... a few pounds to make sure it doesn't leak are ok....Lots of pressure (to "pop" a dent) will splay the whole tank...... Don't ask how I know this!.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Something like a pry bar but with rounded edges or a if you have a welder you can weld a hook onto a rod and slip it in there to message it out from the inside. The hook and rod should be at least a 1/4" thick material.
An "s" hook from your local hardware supply place is good place to start.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I saw an article somewhere about pulling out dents in car doors with hot/cold - I think they sprayed the area with that cold spray stuff first. Or maybe they just sprayed it and the dent popped out itself?? Can't remember.

You might try searching for auto body techniques.....

Maybe like this???? http://tinyurl.com/23j8u6

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Re: dent removal with out removing the paint OR BONDO?

so without starting a new thread here, anybody have any success with paintless dent removal on your tank? how else might you guys handle a significant tank dent. bondo-job done yourself? i've never worked with the stuff but would be willing to try with some positive encouragement. i'll snap some photos when i get home of my tank and post for your review. rain expected here in jersey for the next couple days so i figured i might explore tackling the tank...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lots of link on YouTube.com for tank dent removal

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
dented since i got the bike over a year ago. and yes i've seen all the videos and been reading about body work techniques, but what would you guys do. i've gotten some great advice here to date and will continue to ask...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
A paintless dent removal guy is gonna charge you enough to just about do a re-spray. You could have it repainted if you did the filler work yourself, for quite a bit cheaper.

The PDR guy will likely charge you around $150-$300 or so.. :shock:

I'd try to make a bar with lots of cushion on the end, insert into the tank and push at least part of that dent back out. Just don't start in the center of it.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used a PDR shop to straighten the dents on my '73 CB350...the paint was is pretty good shape, so I did not want to repaint. The tank came out looking very good, and he even polished it....$200CAD. A bit spendy, but last tank took me almost a week to do (properly), including a 2K clear. I figure my time is worth something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts