Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a really nice '73 CL450. Good tank, seat, side covers. Good title. Pulled the petcock to drain the tank and found it is completely clogged. Solid. Both brass nipples for the gas lines also pulled out, and the strainer is rotted away. Can I get a new one at the dealer or should I just go straight to ebay? I'd like to have an NOS one to ensure it fits the tank properly. Never had much luck with aftermarket stuff. Oh, and thats not the bike in my pic to the left. That's a '74 I bought in the spring. The '73 is a one owner with original paint, very complete. Been sitting since '05. Can't decide what to do with the '74 now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
you might be able to get one from the dealer. they don't make these new anymore (that i'm aware of), but a lot of times the dealer will have a NOS one laying around or be able to track one down at another dealer/honda supplier. if not, ebay may have some NOS ones available, too. i picked up a NOS one off ebay for about 30 bucks last year for a 76 cb200t. the fit was exactly the same except that the body was a bit longer coming out of the tank...

you sure it's a 73 CL450? i'm not seeing that year/model listed on any of the parts fiches on the sites i would have recommended...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No doubt about it being a '73 CL450. I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow to check on a new petcock. Pullled the carbs today and they are in really good shape. Looks like the PO drained the carbs when he parked it. Gas lines were all brittle, made a big flammable mess when the crossover line cracked as I pulled it. Butterflies and slides were very lightly stuck, took just a tap to free them up. Plan to try just giving them a good spray inside and out with carb cleaner. I've got spark at the points and the new battery spins the engine hard with the electric starter. All the lights work including the turn signals. Pretty sure it's gonna fire right up when I get some gas in the carbs. Can't decide whether to give it a good cleaning and just ride it or pull it apart and completely restore it. Or maybe pull it apart and just clean it really well and reassemble it. But I know it will remain stock, I've got the '74 completely apart and am shaving the frame to build a custom. This one is too nice for that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Petcock is available at dealer. Part # 16950-292-000. $63.65 + tax. Same part # that is on ebay for a few dollars cheaper. Had to order of course, should be in Friday. Picked up new fuel lines, clamps, and inline fuel filters. Plan to clean and reinstall carbs tomorrow, then do a static timing on the points. Try to have it ready to fire when I reinstall the tank Saturday. If all is good, new tires and tubes are next, then swingarm bushings and tapered roller bearings for the steering neck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cleaned carbs today, everything looked good except maybe the pilot jet. Pretty sure that microscopic orifice in the end of both is clogged. Anyone know a good source for these #38 jets? All the other jets and passages came clean. May still end up rebuilding them, but I just want to get this thing started for now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Dealer or ebay for petcock? It runs!!!

Put the carbs back on, checked the timing, point and plug gaps. Don't have the petcock yet, so I just put a little gas in the carb bowls. Choke, key on, a little throttle, hit the starter button, and it runs! Only ran a few minutes on the gas in the carbs, but it sounded good. I'll reinstall the air filters, gas tank and seat this weekend, and then adjust the carbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts