Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 544 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I'm not totally finished my other project, but since I'm not going to be selling it until spring I'll just pick at it over the winter. I wanted to start on the 350 before winter set in so that I could try and get it started so that I could do a bit of evaluation, especially with regard to compression.

I picked this bike up back in late October. Before even viewing the bike I pretty much decided to buy it. These bikes are, for some reason, very rare around here. This is the first vintage Japanese twin I've seen for sale in the past two years of looking, so I couldn't pass this one up. He was asking $395 but I was able to get it for $360, not a bad deal especially around here where I find bike prices to be really inflated for some reason. The deal only got sweeter as the following week he gave me a box of extra parts he had laying around for free. Great score as it contained a brand new petcock, points, condenser, brake shoes, throttle cable, spokes, plugs, plug caps, as well as some other used parts. Very generous of the seller as this was not part of the original sale, really appreciated it.

I'll be going the cafe route with this bike, but will be keeping the stock parts so that I can return it to original look if I want to change back in the future. This project is going to be a very slow and long one (especially compared to the 400 project) as I'm cash strapped and so I'll just have to work on it as funds allow. I'm not in a rush anyway as I have a daily rider anyway. I can relax and take my time. :D The sale of 400 in the spring will hopefully help things along.

Here is how it looked as I bought it, pretty much complete just missing a few things like tach cover, battery, fuel line and a few small things. I'm far from an expert but I don't think the mufflers are original. All three of my bikes have this same exhaust. Also, on first glance the tires looked fairly decent (lots of tread) but on closer inspection the rear is totally dry rotted. Front and rear didn't match anyway so I'll get new ones just before putting it on the road.

Overall its not in too bad a shape, far from great, but very workable. The frame has some surface rust. I was hoping the chrome on the wheels would be good but there is a fair bit of rust, looks like I'll have to end up stripping and painting them. :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Deacon's 1972 CB350 Cafe Project

Before winter hits I really wanted to start up the bike to see how it runs, check compression and run through the gears. So I changed the oil, put some fresh gas in, put on a new fuel hose and hooked up my KZ battery. No luck, it turned over but wouldn't catch :cry: Never had much time so I just left it at that. The ignition bits looked real rusty so I figured they might be the culprit.

Pulled the right side carb off last night and found at least one of the causes of it not starting, the engine wasn't getting any gas. Before pulling the carb I unscrewed the drain screw to get all the gas out...not a drop came out, totally dry. :shock: :shock: Here is why...

Looks like I have my work cut out for me here :D

·
Registered
659 Posts

I have seen many a bike that has sat for decades....
I seen really REALLY bad carbs, but I've never seen that type of goo in a carb.
What is that white stuff ?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm not really sure. It's very powdery. I rebuilt a brake master cylinder before and it looked exactly like this, but never a carb. The gas tank is lined with a something that is the same colour, wondering if its related? I've never seen Kreme used before, does this look like a Kreme liner? I've used POR-15 before and its silver.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts

Looks like somebody used the tank to mix cookie dough. :eek:

Congratulations on a great acquisition. Looks like you've got all the parts
there to make whatever you like from it.

·
Registered
703 Posts

When you're done with the bike ship it out to Calgary for me would ya.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

Yeah, that looks like Kreem - it was obviously done with the cap still on there.....
The vent on the gas cap is messed up now - you'll have to remove the cap and soak it in acetone to get that crap out.

New rubber o-rings are still available from Honda for not much $$$$...

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts

Just my opinion, but I have seen that "stuff" in carbs before....I believe it's the remnants of tetra-ethyl leaded fuel reacted with the other metals as the fuel evaporates.... Do NOT be surprised if the alloy carb body itself is covered with "pits" beneath that when you finally get it off....On 350 carbs that can cause problems with removal and resealing the jets (pitted passage).... It might be replacement or Mikuni time....

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I was able to get the jets out pretty easily, they don't look too bad but I'll check the passages as you mentioned Steve.

You may be right about the tetra-ethyl leaded fuel, or the bike may have been used to smuggle some cocaine into Newfoundland :D

The Kreem job looks a mess, not a neat job done at all, especially around the filler cap. Looking inside it doesn't look too bad, but I still wish it wasn't lined at all.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The only issue I'm having is getting the pin that holds the float in place removed. Seems either stuck in there really good, or a PO has pounded both ends so they are too large to be pushed through :?: I just put some penetrant on it and I'll leave it over night.

Should that pin be able to be pushed out for either direction?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

HerrDeacon said:
Should that pin be able to be pushed out for either direction?
Yes - try using a small nail to punch it through....

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

tbpmusic said:
Yes - try using a small nail to punch it through....
That did the trick Bill, thanks.

Wasn't easy though. The nail initially wouldn't do anything since I couldn't position everything so that I could get a good solid contact, needed an extra hand. I used a hammer at first to bang it back and forth to loosen it up a bit, then used the nail. Even with all this it was still putting up a fight right to the last millimeter :D I think it's shy. I hope the left carb is not as stubborn.

Surprisingly with all that mess the jets and passages look really good. Fuel inlet was blocked though. Wasn't planning on giving the carbs a thorough cleaning until much later in the project but I may as well do it now.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Is JB Weld gas resistant? I'm thinking it is but I'm not 100%. Cleaned the float bowl and the bottom is badly pitted and a few pin holes have formed. There are two visible ones but I'm sure there are a couple more ready to break through given the chance.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

HerrDeacon said:
Is JB Weld gas resistant? I'm thinking it is but I'm not 100%. Cleaned the float bowl and the bottom is badly pitted and a few pin holes have formed. There are two visible ones but I'm sure there are a couple more ready to break through given the chance.
You know, something I might try, maybe a bit off the wall, but.......

JB all the holes, then RedKote the inside of the float bowls???
Or if you're not a RedKote guy, the tank sealer of your choice??
Personally, I prefer RedKote, but it may be too old school for you young sprouts.......

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Got a pleasant surprise tonight! Opened up the left carb fully expecting it to be in the same state as the right, but it was very clean inside. One thing I noticed though is that the float is completely different (right is brass with round corners, whereas this one is squarish plastic?) :shock: Will this now affect how I go about setting the float height? If I knew what the actual fuel level was supposed to be in the bowl I'd use the clear tube method, but with just the dry measurement, is this dependent on the stock type float being used?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Was checking the points today so I had to take the alternator cover off to rotate the engine. A bit of oil came out, I'm guessing this is not normal. Never seen any on the 400 or my KZ.

I'll probably replace all the seals over the winter (i.e. kick start, shifter, etc.) but just wondering if this oil has affected the alternator/windings any? Can I just clean it up and be alright? The inside of the cover had a nice bit of sludge at the bottom as well (see pic).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

HerrDeacon said:
Was checking the points today so I had to take the alternator cover off to rotate the engine. A bit of oil came out, I'm guessing this is not normal. Never seen any on the 400 or my KZ.
Normal, no problem.....

1 - 20 of 544 Posts