Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1972 CB350K4, 1980 CX500C, 1980 CX500D
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those out there who bought David Silver Spares aftermarket mufflers, were the bolts rusty when you got them? I just bought some and am trying to decide if it's worth complaining (and returning and chancing rusty replacements). These are for a CB350K4.

Is this something I should be concerned about? With how pricey these are I'd rather they not get a jump on rusting out before I've even installed them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
On my silencers the bolts are chromed and not rusty. Not even after years of use. But I would not worry about it too much. Looks like on yours they were taped off during the chemical steps. I'd polish the chrome with chrome polish and put anti seize on the bolts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They look like New, Old Stock to me, judging from the part number.
I missed the aftermarket comment and it wouldn't let me delete it : )

·
Registered
38 Posts
I heard a guy who bought some pipes from them as well for CB175 and he said they were rusty inside (surface rust). Apparently he let them know about it and they gave him some money back to which he said he used the money to buy some evapo-rust (safe on chrome) to soak the pipes and good as new

·
Registered
1972 CB350K4, 1980 CX500C, 1980 CX500D
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Sent an email to DSS, asked if they could send a tube of sealant or rust remover. Was told the mufflers were from the latest batch that they got at the end of last year, so hadn't been sitting around at DSS for a while. 'Sadly they will all have this issue. Its they way our supplier stores there material's.' So no point swapping. Offered a $20 refund which I took, will get some rust remover and hope for the best. (there is also some rusting inside the pipes, hadn't looked for that initially).

So overall, they did the same as mentioned above, thanks for all comments and suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts