Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is David Broadhead.
I live in Auckland, New Zealand - which will be in Covid-19 lockdown as of tomorrow so a great opportunity to spend quality time with my CD175....
Original papers describe it as follows:
1971 Honda
Engine No. CD175E-2018786
Chassis No. CD175 - 2017696
Registered 5 Feb '71.

I purchased it from the second owner who had had it since Dec '72 (hopefully first 4 photos attached).
01 right side.JPG
01 right side.JPG
02 left side.JPG
01 right side.JPG 01 right side.JPG 02 left side.JPG 03 dash.JPG 04 plate.JPG 01 right side.jpg 02 left side.jpg 03 dash.jpg 04 plate.jpg 05 electrics from right side.jpg 06 electrics close up from right side.jpg
Interesting aside is that at that time he and his then girlfriend - now wife - had taken it on a 6 week camping holiday to New Zealand's south island; which would have been a journey of several thousand kilometres - or miles as the speedo shows - without any hitches and with most of their gear in a backpack worn by the girlfriend as pillion and perched on the back rack... I have a great old photo of them which I will try to find and post.
He rode it until 1991 until family and other commitments saw it parked up in a barn with a minor problem which had prevented it getting its warrant of fitness (read MOT in UK, not sure what the USA equivalent is but I'm sure you get the idea - a period and mandatory safety check).

With the help of a very handy friend we got it running shortly after getting it home; it fired up relatively easily but the clutch was not working.
Tried various dodges such as riding down the road and encouraging the clutch back into life but it resisted all attempts.
Tried to get the clutch cover off but bolts appeared to be seized. Articles I've read since suggest that the cross-head screws were not Soichiro's finest hour but in fairness to the great man he probably didn't specify them with a serviceable life of 50 years in mind....
Anyway, I sprayed said screws with penetrating oil frequently for about six months whilst I moved on to other areas that required attention.
My original intention was to keep it original but:
The mufflers on it had rusted out completely and ditto the lowermost part of each rim - I'm guessing the barn wasn't water tight.
Next thing I found myself repairing and painting the rims and fitting new - but not correct - mufflers.
Next up got a bit carried away painting it - tank was spray painted and the rest brush painted "in situ" i.e. not dissembled.
Ventured into the wiring and with a bit of a struggle (electrics are a bit of a mystery to me) managed to get all bar the starter motor working.
So in terms of majors there seemed to be just the clutch left to do then I was looking forward to registering it and getting it back on the road.

I was on the point of - very reluctantly - of drilling the clutch cover bolt heads off when I decided to give them one last go with the screwdriver and lo and behold, movement!

So the clutch was dissembled and given a bit of love then re-assembled (springs were way out of spec but thought I'd see if they did the job before replacing...)

Got the clutch re-assembled and the cover back on, tank and seat on ready for a victorious test ride down the road.
Filled the tank up with petrol and it gushed out of the tap.
Reconditioned the tap.
Back together, tried again.
Kicked and kicked.
No spark whatsoever.
Followed a great video on youtube to try to diagnose but stopped after removing the suppressor cap from the HT lead and realising 1. that that probably wasn't the problem and 2. I might struggle to get it back together

Which segways nicely to my own background and abilities or lack thereof:

I'm in my 60th year and have had bikes intermittently since age 16.
Equivalent of the Honda from my childhood was a 1964 Triumph Tiger Cub which I learned to ride on.
I've got plenty of enthusiasm but lack technical experience or ability; more of a polisher than a mechanic but keen to change that and see the Honda as a great learning opportunity.
Sometimes my enthusiasm gets the better of common courtesies so my apologies for jumping into this forum without first properly introducing myself; lesson learned...

That's all from now but welcome any questions or comments.

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
You have provided quite an exemplary introduction, much appreciated.

You might start a discussion in the "Smaller Twins/Electrical" section detailing your ignition problems and what you've tried so far. You have a pretty basic ignition system, shouldn't be too hard to track down. For starters you might verify that you have voltage at the coils.

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My name is David Broadhead.
I live in Auckland, New Zealand - which will be in Covid-19 lockdown as of tomorrow so a great opportunity to spend quality time with my CD175....
Original papers describe it as follows:
1971 Honda
Engine No. CD175E-2018786
Chassis No. CD175 - 2017696
Registered 5 Feb '71.

I purchased it from the second owner who had had it since Dec '72 (hopefully first 4 photos attached). View attachment 305545 View attachment 305545 View attachment 305546 View attachment 305545 View attachment 305545 View attachment 305546 View attachment 305547 View attachment 305548 View attachment 305549 View attachment 305550 View attachment 305551 View attachment 305552 View attachment 305553 View attachment 305554
Interesting aside is that at that time he and his then girlfriend - now wife - had taken it on a 6 week camping holiday to New Zealand's south island; which would have been a journey of several thousand kilometres - or miles as the speedo shows - without any hitches and with most of their gear in a backpack worn by the girlfriend as pillion and perched on the back rack... I have a great old photo of them which I will try to find and post.
He rode it until 1991 until family and other commitments saw it parked up in a barn with a minor problem which had prevented it getting its warrant of fitness (read MOT in UK, not sure what the USA equivalent is but I'm sure you get the idea - a periodic and mandatory safety check).

With the help of a very handy friend we got it running shortly after getting it home; it fired up relatively easily but the clutch was not working.
Tried various dodges such as riding down the road and encouraging the clutch back into life but it resisted all attempts.
Tried to get the clutch cover off but bolts appeared to be seized. Articles I've read since suggest that the cross-head screws were not Soichiro's finest hour but in fairness to the great man he probably didn't specify them with a serviceable life of 50 years in mind....
Anyway, I sprayed said screws with penetrating oil frequently for about six months whilst I moved on to other areas that required attention.
My original intention was to keep it original but:
The mufflers on it had rusted out completely and ditto the lowermost part of each rim - I'm guessing the barn wasn't water tight.
Next thing I found myself repairing and painting the rims and fitting new - but not correct - mufflers.
Next up got a bit carried away painting it - tank was spray painted and the rest brush painted "in situ" i.e. not dissembled.
Ventured into the wiring and with a bit of a struggle (electrics are a bit of a mystery to me) managed to get all bar the starter motor working.
So in terms of majors there seemed to be just the clutch left to do then I was looking forward to registering it and getting it back on the road.

I was on the point of - very reluctantly - of drilling the clutch cover bolt heads off when I decided to give them one last go with the screwdriver and lo and behold, movement!

So the clutch was dissembled and given a bit of love then re-assembled (springs were way out of spec but thought I'd see if they did the job before replacing...)

Got the clutch re-assembled and the cover back on, tank and seat on ready for a victorious test ride down the road.
Filled the tank up with petrol and it gushed out of the tap.
Reconditioned the tap.
Back together, tried again.
Kicked and kicked.
No spark whatsoever.
Followed a great video on youtube to try to diagnose but stopped after removing the suppressor cap from the HT lead and realising 1. that that probably wasn't the problem and 2. I might struggle to get it back together

Which segways nicely to my own background and abilities or lack thereof:

I'm in my 60th year and have had bikes intermittently since age 16.
Equivalent of the Honda from my childhood was a 1964 Triumph Tiger Cub which I learned to ride on.
I've got plenty of enthusiasm but lack technical experience or ability; more of a polisher than a mechanic but keen to change that and see the Honda as a great learning opportunity.
Sometimes my enthusiasm gets the better of common courtesies so my apologies for jumping into this forum without first properly introducing myself; lesson learned...

That's all from now but welcome any questions or comments.
Rob and Barbara on Honda 1972.jpg

You have provided quite an exemplary introduction, much appreciated.

You might start a discussion in the "Smaller Twins/Electrical" section detailing your ignition problems and what you've tried so far. You have a pretty basic ignition system, shouldn't be too hard to track down. For starters you might verify that you have voltage at the coils.

Welcome to the group.
Thank you J-T. I will put voltage at the coils at the top of my list when I venture forth with my multi-tester (which should be in the next day or so) then start the discussion in "Smaller Twins/Electrical" as you suggest. To be continued....

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Hi David , and welcome.
I hope you've changed the oil , and buy an impact driver (I like a manual one but others here swear by the electric ) the reason I like the manual ones is in NZ they generally come with a JIS bit, this is the correct type of bit for removing the machine screws on your bike , 99% of people who complain about the screw heads aren't using the correct bit, the other 1% are really complaining about the previous owners mashing the head with a Philips. Make sure you get the brakes reshoed before you take her out again, stopping is actually more important than going. Old brake shoes delaminate , and you don't want to be riding when that happens.
I'll give you a call tomorrow and see if we can get her to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure whether to be hugely embarrassed or overjoyed but following J-T's suggestion I took the tank off to check power to the coils and there right next to the ignition switch I spied the problem; a wire that was not connected. Reconnected, checked the spark and all looked good so tank back on, fuel connected and it literally started first kick; not bad after 3 months. Checked the clutch with it on the centre stand and that seems to be working too. Full test ride will have to wait until tomorrow as it's a bit late (and dark) here now. So plenty to celebrate; it starts, the clutch appears to work and - perhaps most importantly - I was spared a night of reality TV. Thanks everyone. ..... And / but still keen for a chat Simo...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi David
Good to see another CD175 in progress.
I have a couple of Slopers that I have bought recently, one is #2000 and has 5450 miles on it.
Its scruffy but complete and runs well.
The other one has an incomplete motor and a 70s tank but is quite tidy.

At the moment Im stripping the complete bike for blasting and painting and will put the motor in the other frame so i can ride it as it has registration on hold.

the photo is from the trademe add as I dont have any photos on my laptop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi David
I have a couple of Slopers that I have bought recently, one is #2000 and has 5450 miles on it.

At the moment Im stripping the complete bike for blasting and painting and will put the motor in the other frame so i can ride it as it has registration on hold.

View attachment 310549
Hi there. Thanks for the message. I saw them on TradeMe and had to stop myself from bidding :). Anyway it looks like quite a tidy bike, so congratulations. I think you will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum. My own knowledge - of bikes generally and CD175s specifically - is very limited but I'm enjoying fiddling with mine so let's stay in touch! Regards, David 021 324 762

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Hi David

Since this is your first post here, you need to do this next

1 - 8 of 8 Posts