Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This forum is awesome, love all the info here. Anyways, I'm a 20 something computer science student from DFW, picking up my first bike(s) today. I've restored a '66 mustang before but sold it to finance some responsible decisions :cry: I've had the vintage bike itch for a few years and finally found the right deal to jump in with. I was eyeing the Superhawks but they were a bit out of my price range currently. I'm picking up a CB360 and CL360 with two parts bikes this afternoon. I'll be around here a lot - I've got a ton to learn. Any members from the DFW area?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Welcome welcome welcome :cool: You've found the right place.

Hey Steve....any relation?... :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been following your build Leethal. Lookin' great! What's the process called that you used to blast your engine parts etc? I think someone mentioned that someone did the same sort of work in Dallas but I can't find the business.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
nah....I'm just building a '66 replica....lol......but it's only a 175.....

With all those starting bikes, we should be able to get him one (maybe two) riders out of it.......He could always follow my build and actually make a "resembles a '66 bike" out of the left-overs.... :D Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, the name is actually from my mustang. It was a replica of a race car from the Trans-Am race series.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
66replica said:
Lookin' great! What's the process called that you used to blast your engine parts etc? I think someone mentioned that someone did the same sort of work in Dallas but I can't find the business.
The process is Aqua Glass Bead Blasting. I think your're thinking of Mike (Mnellis) who may have located a service out of Dallas....from memory... :?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
leethal said:
66replica said:
Lookin' great! What's the process called that you used to blast your engine parts etc? I think someone mentioned that someone did the same sort of work in Dallas but I can't find the business.
The process is Aqua Glass Bead Blasting. I think your're thinking of Mike (Mnellis) who may have located a service out of Dallas....from memory... :?
Awesome, thanks! I'm off to pick up the bikes now! New project thread and pics to follow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I picked up the bikes - they're still in trailer, going to unload tomorrow, snap a few pics and start testing everything. None of the four motors will start but they will all turn freely. I plan on renting a compression check tool tomorrow, any good guides out there for testing a non-running bike? I will probably need to clean out the tanks as well. Suggestions on that? I'm betting the carbs will need some work as well. First bike, have no clue what I'm doing :D

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Austin would work for me. :) We should keep an eye out for what the VJMC is doing and go to one of those meets. The Austin chapter of the VJMC is without a leader right now since the former president is off to the military or something. It was a small group anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That'd be fun. I will probably be without a bike since I just learned my compression is around 90 PSI on the engine with a good tensioner. :x

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
It just so happens the outgoing VJMC President sent out a message today re: his final ride in March.

The Coopers BBQ joint in Llano, Tx that he mentions is suppose to have some of the best BBQ in Texas but then they all say that. :)

There is plenty of time to get that compression up.

I have gotten my orders and I report to FT Bening on March 28, 2010 and will be there for 8 months. Kim and I are planning a ride to Llano, Tx for some Coopers BBQ in March. We have two weekends open. Saturday, March 13, 2010 and Saturday, March 20, 2010. The route we have planned is about 211 miles with three stops for gas and rest. Right now we are looking to start at 118 E. Riverside Drive, Austin, Tx, 78704. As we plan this we are trying to get a feel for who would like to go. If you have a perferance on the date please let us know. If you would like to go please let me know and I will keep you in the information loop.

thanks

Aaron Sanders

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool, I'm looking for pistons and rings as we speak. Any specific place for parts you guys go? Also probably need to rebuild my carb. What should I do for an ignition coil?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
If you want a set of used 1 over pistons (good condition) and a set of NOS 1 over rings drop me a PM. You can have em cheap. But I reccomend that you get your machinist to measure the jugs first to see if 1 over is an option.

Lee

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
leethal said:
If you want a set of used 1 over pistons (good condition) and a set of NOS 1 over rings drop me a PM. You can have em cheap. But I reccomend that you get your machinist to measure the jugs first to see if 1 over is an option.

Lee
Thank you, sir. I'll check out the jugs and get back with you.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Good Luck on your resto project 66replica.

Oh....and uh.....ROLL TIDE !
:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts