Honda Twins banner

221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got a nice stainless steel front brake line from Galfer. Their website even let me search for a line compatible with my ‘85 model which I thought was pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
I snapped off a headlight bracket and had to replace it, but it was alot easier than I thought it was going to be. Been working on front brake shoes and caliper and today buttoned up the carbs:

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Carbs went onto the new boots with no hassle. Air boxes needed a little more fiddling but went on okay.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Moving slowly but getting some stuff done. Bar end mirrors and grips installed

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Master cylinder and new lines in. The front wheel is still dragging at the caliper. Maybe it will smooth out when the fluid is in and the lines are bled? The throttle cables are in too. They are kind of long for the shorter bars but I think they will work.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Hi folks: another wrenching season has begun. I started with a brake bleed (all new m/c, hoses and caliper) and all was well but now I have a leak from the caliper. Took it apart and yep, leaking from under the pad on the "thick" side.

So what to do? Everything is new and shiny! How do you seal it so the fluid doesn't leak?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Hi folks: another wrenching season has begun. I started with a brake bleed (all new m/c, hoses and caliper) and all was well but now I have a leak from the caliper. Took it apart and yep, leaking from under the pad on the "thick" side.

So what to do? Everything is new and shiny! How do you seal it so the fluid doesn't leak?
Turns out I had the seal in wrong. I think I have fixed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, did your caliper piston have any marks/gouges or pitting? Mine has a small amount of pitting but I think it should still be good to use

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Also, did your caliper piston have any marks/gouges or pitting? Mine has a small amount of pitting but I think it should still be good to use
My piston is brand new. I had the seal around the top of the space for the piston instead of in the groove in the piston hole. Durrrrr.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don’t suppose you’d be able to post a pic of how your diode & holder is mounted?? I think it’s either on the coil mounting bolt or on the horn mount. I can’t seem to find any quality angles to see it from

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
I don’t suppose you’d be able to post a pic of how your diode & holder is mounted?? I think it’s either on the coil mounting bolt or on the horn mount. I can’t seem to find any quality angles to see it from
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by diode and holder--do you mean the starter solenoid? Or the voltage regulator/rectifier?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Moving on with the front brake sorted: if you think a little piece of rubber can't cause a 60 minute battle you're incorrect. I tried about 10 different tools and various strategies to get that thingie in the fender loop.

Next I took the bike off the lift to get the stands on. I hung the bike from the shop rafters:

I installed the sidestand spring with a loop of strong wire and brute force. The center stand needed more leverage, so I used a comealong anchored to the floor with a screwed eye bolt.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
I put the new petcock on the green tank and tried it on the bike with the seat.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
I tried and tried to get the original airboxes to fit, but to no avail. So I will try the pods. That meant making a battery box to fit around the pods. Here's where I am at now: I used bent and riveted aluminum to make the box. The rectifier attaches at the bottom and the solenoid and flasher relay mount on the side.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
The right side exhaust pipe is nice and snug but the left side isn't. Why?? There doesn't seem to be any difference between the two pipes or connectors! Is there a good way to shim it?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 · (Edited)
I had the collars backwards.

Don't do this.

Collars face out and flanges don't meet the head flush.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by diode and holder--do you mean the starter solenoid? Or the voltage regulator/rectifier?
this little bit they list on the parts fiche as a “diode”, I think it’s part of the safety lockout for the starting system. I’m just unclear on where exactly it mounts
8620CE86-23D9-4C1E-B7DC-7F0B7A314761.jpeg
8620CE86-23D9-4C1E-B7DC-7F0B7A314761.jpeg

221 - 239 of 239 Posts