Honda Twins banner

201 - 220 of 239 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
New front wheel bearings went in today.

Then I got going on lacing up the rear rim:

It took me 3 attempts to get it right. But the front rim I got the first try.

Once I get the knock pin in the mail, I can close up the clutch side cover and mount the engine in the frame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice work on your 360 ...mine's been on hold for a bit, but I have the engine and wheels done. ...those early rear hubs are a real PITA (mine's a '76) ...the later ones, which are otherwise identical, have holes in the backside of the cush/bushing wells, so they can easily be pressed out.

I thought I had a better picture of the "new" hub before powdercoat, but you can see the back of the bushing near the top of the rear hub in this photo.

I tried, oh man I tried, to get the bushings out of my original hub, it couldn't be done, and no machine shop near me would touch it. I ended up with a NOS part from David Silver Spares and was SO relieved to see the holes in the back of each well.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Nice work on your 360 ...mine's been on hold for a bit, but I have the engine and wheels done. ...those early rear hubs are a real PITA (mine's a '76) ...the later ones, which are otherwise identical, have holes in the backside of the cush/bushing wells, so they can easily be pressed out.

I thought I had a better picture of the "new" hub before powdercoat, but you can see the back of the bushing near the top of the rear hub in this photo.

I tried, oh man I tried, to get the bushings out of my original hub, it couldn't be done, and no machine shop near me would touch it. I ended up with a NOS part from David Silver Spares and was SO relieved to see the holes in the back of each well.
No doubt about it, it's one of the tougher jobs to do with these bikes.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Waiting for a few parts, and the wheel truing stand to true up the wheels. Meantime I have done some small things like cleaning up and painting some bits. Mocked up the rear fender and double cateye taillight, too.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Truing wheels and checking fit and clearances on pieces:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Looking great!

Reactions: rlieuallen67

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Shock absorber update: fyi for anyone using the MDI "heavy duty" shocks from Common Motor, I had trouble with the m10 stock bolts going into the clevis. They went in hard and stripped a little. I chased the threads with a M10 x 1.25 pitch tap and tried again, but they wouldn't tighten up properly. I finally used some new m10 x 1.25 bolts and they at last went in fine. I don't know if it was a fluke with my set or what. Just be aware of my issue if you try them.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Fitting the master cylinder a few days ago, I found out that the 400F low bars I was using were too short and the bend too shallow
to allow for the cylinder to clamp on. I ordered some superbike bars and now everything should fit.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I hit a snag in that I was tinkering with the front wheel spokes trying to get rid of the last bit of vertical runout and over tightened and broke one. Oh well. Got to get it round!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great thread! Cool to see you picked it up again after all these years. Can't wait to see the completed rebuild! I also love that green color you used for the tank.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Great thread! Cool to see you picked it up again after all these years. Can't wait to see the completed rebuild! I also love that green color you used for the tank.
Thanks! I have been camping with my family for a few weeks and am just getting back to work today. That green is from a 1973 Datsun 260Z. I thought it was appropriate for a 75 Honda that had belonged to my dad. He had a 260Z when I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Got the new brake pads in; caliper fitted and lines checked for length and fit. I'm considering stainless steel lines if I can find a set that would work with the stock switch and pipe.

201 - 220 of 239 Posts