Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, thought it was time to post some pictures of the project I've been working on (off and on) since winter of 2007. My dad bought this bike from a co-worker in summer of 1987. I think he rode it twice, parked it...and that was that. It sat outside for the next 20-odd years. I'm living in the house where it was stored (in the back yard) and decided I didn't have enough to do on weekends. So far I've torn everything down, powdercoated the frame, and am now starting to get the rust off everything, figure out which components are still working and what's toast...and take it from there. Looks like many of you have been on a similar journey!

UPDATE: here's some more 'before':

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
:lol: thats awesome! :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I for the life of me can't understand how people can let perfectly good motorcycles sit and rot away. How could one not want to ride a bike that they own? I used to see this all the time when I delivered out in the countryand I always wanted to drag the poor things home and fix them. Once I actually did buy an old Yamaha enduro for $25 and gave it to a friend of mine.
Good on you for taking the inititave on this one! You should preserve that vine and hang it up in the garage or something :cool:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you gentlemen, for the kind words of encouragement. Here are some more pictures. This has gone in fits and starts, and I tend to get alot done in a week or so, then it sits awhile when some other household emergency/activity takes over my attention for awhile. I originally envisioned a complete stock restoration (similar to Leethal's AWESOME, inspiring work) then after a year, considered a cafe racer. I have finally settled on something somewhere in the middle, with a stripped down bike that's simple and straightforward, similar to these Danish builders' bikes: http://www.wrenchmonkees.com

This has been alot of fun and a constant reminder to breathe and be patient!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Yours is the only other 360 I've seen to still have a solenoid switch cover, not a big deal, but rare ;) I wish I'd found the bronze swingarm bushings for mine though :roll:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Lee! I found those bushings either on ebay or from BikeBandit.com; I go back and forth between trying to find something lightly used, and just getting it new from Thailand. Heads up, I may want to pick your brain soon regarding my wiring loom!

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I've got a NOS CJ360 loom which is more or less identical, no solenoid/e-start button connections though...

How bout putting a pic of that beemer in the 'other bikes' section..... :)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hugo said:
Subscribing to this thread! Looking forward to more pics...

Hugo
Cheers, Hugo! I had a look at your pics and I think we're tied as far as nastiest starting point: your bike has more damage as far as cracks, breaks and strips; mine had more rot, rust and crud! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

:D Rocco

·
Registered
104 Posts
One piece at a time... Soon you will have that thing together. Good luck with it. I think that I enjoy a good build just about as much as I enjoy a good ride.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, going to take the plunge and start on the engine...

Original on the right, Ebay spare on the left...

Can anybody tell me how to get that speedo cable out? Do I just pull with brute force? It doesn't seem to want to screw out...

Last night I spent quite a while with the impact driver...still a couple stubborn buggers to go.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
To remove the tacho cable you need to undo the phillips head screw located under all that crud ;) Can you please post a pic of the cable end when you get it off, I have a feeling I received the wrong cable.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts