Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the engine building game and I wanted to know what is going on with these metal deposits on my cylinder wall. I paid almost nothing for the engine so I expected something wrong with it. I've already planned to rebore and hone because of this, but I'd like to know how they were caused or how to proceed. Maybe something else is/will be damaged?

If it helps paint a better picture, the previous owner used a ludicrous amount of gasket cement. I used a brass dremel brush to try and clean up the deposits which helped a bit, but one particular spot just turned a brass color as seen in the pictures.

I think it got super overheated from the gasket cement making it into the left cylinder and ate some metal. No real idea though, I have hardly any experience.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Rust, looks like it was stored in the damp.

Reactions: Raptor

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Swamp motor!
Be very certain of the engine parts before you put money into that engine. I would be going to 1.0 mm oversize pistons and even that may not take care of the pitting.

Valves, valve seats .... nasty ....

Open up the cases as there is probably rust on the gears, shift forks etc and if there is quit while you are ahead would be my advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rust, looks like it was stored in the damp.
There is definitely rust. I am curious about the protruding specs of metal and how that came to be.

Swamp motor!
Be very certain of the engine parts before you put money into that engine. I would be going to 1.0 mm oversize pistons and even that may not take care of the pitting.

Valves, valve seats .... nasty ....

Open up the cases as there is probably rust on the gears, shift forks etc and if there is quit while you are ahead would be my advice.
I have a fresher bottom end and a like new head. I really need the jug. The rust in the bore has no texture on my finger, should I try removing it before I decide to get it machined?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
There is definitely rust. I am curious about the protruding specs of metal and how that came to be.

I have a fresher bottom end and a like new head. I really need the jug. The rust in the bore has no texture on my finger, should I try removing it before I decide to get it machined?
Run a dental pick across it and pick at a few spots. Take it to a machinest to determine if it can be used. Check on availability of oversize pistons/rings before going too far. Rust is insidious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Run a dental pick across it and pick at a few spots. Take it to a machinest to determine if it can be used. Check on availability of oversize pistons/rings before going too far. Rust is insidious.
Thanks. It's starting to look more ideal to just get a new jug, with the cost of pistons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts